Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 74
  1. Collapse Details
    the Klosterhalfen kerfuffle
    #1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    Do you say the same thing about Jarmila Kratochvilova? Because if you are judging Semenya by the way she looks, well.......
    Speaking of the way women look, I really don't like the looks of Konstanze Klosterhalfen. She's anorexic. She's going to have problems with female athletic triad. I know you need to be thin to run at the highest levels but her long-term health is more important. My doctor side coming out.
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Speaking of the way women look, I really don't like the looks of Konstanze Klosterhalfen. She's anorexic. She's going to have problems with female athletic triad. I know you need to be thin to run at the highest levels but her long-term health is more important. My doctor side coming out.
    agree...that is not a healthy look
     

  3. Collapse Details
    the Klosterhalfen kerfuffle
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    15,079
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Speaking of the way women look, I really don't like the looks of Konstanze Klosterhalfen. She's anorexic. She's going to have problems with female athletic triad. I know you need to be thin to run at the highest levels but her long-term health is more important. My doctor side coming out.
    I thought the same thing about her when she emerged at the junior level. But it's been a few years since then, she still looks the same she did back then (she might have actually been even slightly thinner at the WU20C in 2016), she's made great progress athletically and she gives the impression of being healthy and happy with herself. Maybe that's just her natural body shape.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    And then attention is turned to Klosterhalfen. Women are either too muscular, or too thin...Jesus give me strength!
    I brought up Klosterhalfen, and if you think that's inappropriate you have never treated a 20-25 yo woman with stress fractures in their hip, or operated on hip fractures, and seen all the problems that are caused by the female athletic triad. As I said, it was my doctor coming out. I don't give a shit what she looks like from an appearance point of view, I do care what anorexia does to a female body. The loss of bone strength from it at her age is not recoverable.
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    10,776
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I brought up Klosterhalfen, and if you think that's inappropriate you have never treated a 20-25 yo woman with stress fractures in their hip, or operated on hip fractures, and seen all the problems that are caused by the female athletic triad. As I said, it was my doctor coming out. I don't give a shit what she looks like from an appearance point of view, I do care what anorexia does to a female body. The loss of bone strength from it at her age is not recoverable.
    Right.... appearance has nothing to do with it.... guys have it easier in a way....I got my weight way down...but never had the osteoporosis problems my female international distance friends did....
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Speaking of the way women look, I really don't like the looks of Konstanze Klosterhalfen. She's anorexic. She's going to have problems with female athletic triad. I know you need to be thin to run at the highest levels but her long-term health is more important. My doctor side coming out.
    I feel the same way. To be honest I'm surprised someone that thin can run as fast as she can, because when athletes are losing weight, at a certain point the power-to-weight ratio starts decreasing due the loss of power.
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,357
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I brought up Klosterhalfen, and if you think that's inappropriate you have never treated a 20-25 yo woman with stress fractures in their hip, or operated on hip fractures, and seen all the problems that are caused by the female athletic triad. As I said, it was my doctor coming out. I don't give a shit what she looks like from an appearance point of view, I do care what anorexia does to a female body. The loss of bone strength from it at her age is not recoverable.
    I think it's inappropriate because you are not her physician and you have no idea of her medical status and history. You are simply looking at her on TV and making an inappropriate assumption. Implying she may have anorexia - which as you know is a serious mental health disorder, much more than just being underweight & cannot be diagnosed just from looking at someone - is wrong.

    Where's your concern for the overweight male shotputters, of which there are many, with huge waistlines and terrible waist-to-hip ratios, far above what is recommended as healthy, who are at risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes etc.? I don't think I've seen anyone call out those walking heart attacks, ever.

    Women are objectified in many ways in these forums, whether they be too muscular or too heavy, or too thin. We have all done it - me included, I have talked about Schippers weight - and we should be called out when it's wrong and when it's inconsistent.
    Last edited by Gabriella2; 07-01-2019 at 02:22 PM.
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, CO
    Posts
    7,521
    Too bad someone decided to hijack the thread about one of our favorite annual meets in the US.


    And I share bambam's concern about anorexia, and had the exact same thoughts about Klosterhalfen. And take note that posters on this board have not been pointing at the many, many other female (or male) middle or long distance runners about their slender or skinny builds, i.e. Klosterhalfen is an exception and looks like stress fractures and more waiting to happen. Has nothing to do with some sort of "ideal" body, but everything to do with a sometimes fatal mental illness.
    Last edited by DrJay; 07-01-2019 at 04:40 PM.
     

  9. Collapse Details
    the Klosterhalfen kerfuffle
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    I think it's inappropriate because you are not her physician and you have no idea of her medical status and history. You are simply looking at her on TV and making an inappropriate assumption. Implying she may have anorexia - which as you know is a serious mental health disorder, much more than just being underweight & cannot be diagnosed just from looking at someone - is wrong.

    Where's your concern for the overweight male shotputters, of which there are many, with huge waistlines and terrible waist-to-hip ratios, far above what is recommended as healthy, who are at risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes etc.? I don't think I've seen anyone call out those walking heart attacks, ever.

    Women are objectified in many ways in these forums, whether they be too muscular or too heavy, or too thin. We have all done it - me included, I have talked about Schippers weight - and we should be called out when it's wrong and when it's inconsistent.
    Maybe a doctor who knows anorexia when they see it doesn't have to be someone's own physician in order to recognize it. Just maybe. And I think he mentioned his concern stemmed from having operated on young women with the condition, so if he hasn't been opening up male shotputters, perhaps there's the answer to that part as well. Just maybe.
     

  10. Collapse Details
    the Klosterhalfen kerfuffle
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,357
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Maybe a doctor who knows anorexia when they see it doesn't have to be someone's own physician in order to recognize it. Just maybe. And I think he mentioned his concern stemmed from having operated on young women with the condition, so if he hasn't been opening up male shotputters, perhaps there's the answer to that part as well. Just maybe.
    I have no doubt the concern is sincere and genuine. But you cannot diagnose anorexia simply by 'seeing it' unless its fairly extreme. What is happening here is he/she is looking at someone who appears underweight and is then diagnosing a serious mental health disorder. You simply cannot do that to her! Not eating enough & being underweight does not equate to anorexia. So lets stop with the anorexia comments, pleeeeaaaase...

    And I stand by my comments on no one raising concerns re male shot putters who appear overweight. Because that, my friend, is society for you, and it's obsession with policing the female body.

    Now, normal service can resume and I apologise for hijacking this thread! (but, you know, it was quite a big deal)
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •