Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    I have no doubt the concern is sincere and genuine. But you cannot diagnose anorexia simply by 'seeing it' unless its fairly extreme. What is happening here is he/she is looking at someone who appears underweight and is then diagnosing a serious mental health disorder. You simply cannot do that to her! Not eating enough & being underweight does not equate to anorexia. So lets stop with the anorexia comments, pleeeeaaaase...

And I stand by my comments on no one raising concerns re male shot putters who appear overweight. Because that, my friend, is society for you, and it's obsession with policing the female body.

Now, normal service can resume and I apologise for hijacking this thread! (but, you know, it was quite a big deal)
    I don't know what you do for a living, Gabriella, but I'll stand by my comments that she looks at high risk for female athletic triad, which is what my original post emphasized. If you don't like me using the term anorexic, I will use a similar medical term without the psychological overlay - she is cachectic. And I'll be happy to compare my medical degree and background to yours at any time while you criticize my ability to make those comments.

2. Collapse Details

And I stand by my comments on no one raising concerns re male shot putters who appear overweight. Because that, my friend, is society for you, and it's obsession with policing the female body.
    Most (all?) world class male shot putters are overweight, carrying a lot of extra body fat. Most world class distance runners, male and female, are skinny, underweight by many standards, and I don't recall seeing concern or criticism for that here before. The difference is that Klosterhalfen, anthropomorphically, is an (extreme) outlier among outliers. She is, as bambam said, cachectic.

Maybe you should start a thread discussing the health risks incurred by the body habitus of male shot putters. I doubt any of us would argue that they are not at increased risk for cardiovascular disease later in life.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I don't know what you do for a living, Gabriella, but I'll stand by my comments that she looks at high risk for female athletic triad, which is what my original post emphasized. If you don't like me using the term anorexic, I will use a similar medical term without the psychological overlay - she is cachectic. And I'll be happy to compare my medical degree and background to yours at any time while you criticize my ability to make those comments.
    Bambam, you are not the first one whose medical knowledge as well as the ethics Gabriella2 puts to question.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

4. Collapse Details

You cannot diagnose KK with anorexia, a mental health disorder, by looking at her on a TV screen. Period point blank.

I mean, that's pretty basic stuff, any qualified medical professional knows this, and any that try and argue they can diagnose KK as anorexic from the TV is talking shite and needs their license taken away.

The really sad thing is you all know this, and you know you can only diagnose it through a combination of physical examination, psychological examination, a number of physical lab tests. Hence all the back tracking.

She appears to be underweight, but have you weighed her or checked her height even? Do you know how much she eats? Showing concern is fine, but don't go flippantly throwing around words like anorexia when you don't know what you're talking about.

As someone that has suffered from eating disorders in the past, I'm pretty shit hot on this and I DO know what I'm talking about.

5. Collapse Details

OK, Gabriella, that's it. Call me at 603-662-0413 and we'll discuss this like adults.

As for the message board, that's it for me. Its been a fun 10 years or so. Don't care to deal with people who tell me my medical license should be taken away, or I don't know anything about medical journals, when the people telling me that don't know shit about medicine.

I'll await your call.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Oh dear....that's sad to hear that....best to ignore people like that.... I certainly do....

7. Collapse Details

My god! bambam was not making a formal diagnosis, like on a form that would affect KK's life, income, insurabilty, etc. He was making a simple observation on an internet chat board, like, "she looks anorexic". And guess what? She does look anorexic! But maybe she's not and what any of us thinks has zero bearing on anything, no more than if one of us said "Adam Goucher looks depressed", which I observed after he was interviewed following whatever Olympic 5000 he ran.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Exactly.....

9. Collapse Details
    the Klosterhalfen kerfuffle
    Administrator
    .. I'm pretty shit hot on this and I DO know what I'm talking about.
    please peddle your brand of hot shit elsewhere.

over and out

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Oh dear....that's sad to hear that....best to ignore people like that.... I certainly do....
    So do I and Gabriella2 is on that list. I hope bambam will do the same instead of walking away from the rest of us.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley