Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: new LJ phenom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

I do feel like it's a general trend that girls (and I believe boys, as well) are -- in general -- maturing earlier and earlier. For various reasons (not all positive) we are seeing kids between 10-14 mature earlier, and grow taller and bigger.

Unfortunately, some of those are related to diet, obesity, etc., but those who mature early and are training hard are setting new standards in a variety of sports -- this is one significant (and kind of extreme) example.

While being 15 this is not nearly as extreme an example, 51.17 400 runner Kayla Davis is quite tall and mature looking for her age. She still looks 15 in a lot of ways, but in others more like a 19 year old.

(And, I will mention, Davis has developed some racing smarts, including patience, as well as interview skills beyond her years! )

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    But a lot of the early-age record holders are kids who simply mature earlier than their peers. That's one reason why there's little overlap between all-time lists at age-group and senior level.
    True, I also wonder if she will not perform as well later given she will likely get bigger. I was a late bloomer. Between my sophomore and senior year I put on 65 lbs. and grew 6 inches.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    I do feel like it's a general trend that girls (and I believe boys, as well) are -- in general -- maturing earlier and earlier. For various reasons (not all positive) we are seeing kids between 10-14 mature earlier, and grow taller and bigger.

Unfortunately, some of those are related to diet, obesity, etc., but those who mature early and are training hard are setting new standards in a variety of sports -- this is one significant (and kind of extreme) example.

While being 15 this is not nearly as extreme an example, 51.17 400 runner Kayla Davis is quite tall and mature looking for her age. She still looks 15 in a lot of ways, but in others more like a 19 year old.

(And, I will mention, Davis has developed some racing smarts, including patience, as well as interview skills beyond her years! )
    Remember Raevyn Rogers in Ypsilanti, 2009?

4. Collapse Details

Yes, it happens a lot; look at that huge, strong vaulter who had an advantage over his peers throughout high school. There tends to be a selection bias in those that we remember when a topic like this comes up. A kid that went to preschool with my son was about 5'10+"-? (do not remember)and 260 when he was beginning his freshman year (in HS). I do not think that he was doing a lot of lifting and was not on a diet to get football-large.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    A kid that went to preschool with my son was about 5'10+"-? (do not remember)and 260 when he was beginning his freshman year (in HS). I do not think that he was doing a lot of lifting and was not on a diet to get football-large.
    My kid goes to middle school with World Strongest Man, pro wrestler Mark Henry's son. He IIRC, he was in 7th grade this past year and was 6'3"/250ish.

6. Collapse Details

That was a ridiculous jump. Even if she never equals it (hope she kills it) she can always say she did that...with proof.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

7. Collapse Details