Facts, Not Fiction

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

aside from the great performances in some of the leading events i would like to go a little further on here to discuss three performances by american athletes where more was definitley expected.

sha'carri richardson 4th 11.15 100m: is she back in heavy training for another peak for the trials?, trtack day conditions a factor? or after the ncaa peak her form has taken a natural dip/tail off in order to peak again later, any thoughts?

Fred kerley: what has happened to the 2017 43.70 and jogging 44.02 etc kerley that looked the next big thing?, i still think he is one of the top talents on potential not so sure where his head is at times from a spectator looking in that is, don't claim to know him. but what do yo think happened here that on American soil he can only run 45.3x?

Michael Norman: 44.6x does seem quite lack luster indeed and perhaps conditions had a small role, i know someone said he was fighting an illness i.e. a cold or virus which can really make a person not them selves and lack fitness strength etc, but do you think there was anything else? again has he got back to training and taken a little slump in form in order to peak for trials and beyond?.

little in depth i know for what were only diamond league individual races abut after their previous races with the exception of kerley who still ran poor giving his recent 2019 form. all seem to really under perform in a setting on American soil where you would have assumed they would have been at their strongest.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    since "everybody" in those events was slower than expected, the logical thing is to point at the conditions

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    since "everybody" in those events was slower than expected, the logical thing is to point at the conditions
    True, but periodization has become such a huge thing in the last 5 years, one has to wonder if coaches are no longer willing to grab the short-term rewards in order to reach the interim objectives (USATF) and the long-term ones (WC). While prize money is a great incentive, perhaps more is pending on a high WC place / World Ranking?

4. Collapse Details

Atticus - I had that very thought watching this the other day. I chalked it up to rebuilding the dike in prep for WC time.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

5. Collapse Details

Correct.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    True, but periodization has become such a huge thing in the last 5 years, one has to wonder if coaches are no longer willing to grab the short-term rewards in order to reach the interim objectives (USATF) and the long-term ones (WC). While prize money is a great incentive, perhaps more is pending on a high WC place / World Ranking?
    This is an odd year. Norman did say he was getting a cold. Kerley may not be ready to run a fast time. Coleman and Gatlin did seem ready but they may regret that later.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by curtgod View Post
    Fred kerley: what has happened to the 2017 43.70 and jogging 44.02 etc kerley that looked the next big thing?, i still think he is one of the top talents on potential not so sure where his head is at times from a spectator looking in that is, don't claim to know him. but what do yo think happened here that on American soil he can only run 45.3x?
    2017 he graduated college, changed town, changed coaches, now he seems to have moved back to his college coach.

Combined with a late championships the answer is clearly - don't know!

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    so SAFP's periodization is now so precise that it went away for a single week and then came back? :-)

9. Collapse Details

5 Years, Atticus? More like 25 years.

10. Collapse Details

so SAFP's periodization is now so precise that it went away for a single week and then came back? :-)
    I think Pre served as SAFP's "I'll take my check please and head back to Europe" period.