Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by huntinwr View Post
    not a bad rust-buster for Houlihan. Sub-4!
    If that's the case what does it make Kipyegon's?

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    Aleia Hobbs looked very good taking the close second. Think she will be a factor to the end of the year.

Afternoon wind on that track can swirl and fluctuate from moment to moment. Women may have caught more of headwind than the official in the 100m.
    Wind definitely fluctuated a lot. In the PV it was mostly a crosswind, in a way that would be a tailwind for the sprints, but I 100% think it is possible the women randomly caught a bit of a headwind at some point in their race.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Things I don't think anyone's mentioned yet:

Yaroslava Mahuchikh became the youngest ever to clear 2 meters at 17 years of age.
    Yeah, I sure like her. I see they have corrected her height now from 1.65 to 1.81. Makes way more sense.
    Cunningham also went over 2m but she had 1.99 already 3 years ago. This should make her the 7th American over 2.00.

The women are way ahead of the men in the HJ this season with 5 over 2.00 which I would think is worth about 2.36 for men. Top male is still stuck at only 2.31. What's happening here?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Yes, with a high dew point they might have run almost 0.01 faster.
    OK, let's kill this humidity idiocy once and for all. Using JRM's calculator (go argue with him if you really think that you understand the physics better than he does, ...). I put in a value for the dew point, 92F, that is higher than the record dew point ever in the US and only slightly exceeded on a couple occasions (Arabian Peninsula). I compared that effect with the same temperature but bone-dry conditions of 1% RH. This extreme difference results in a change in the 100m time for men of 0.005 seconds. Basically, all of the conditions that you will see any important races in will be within less than half that amount, of 0.002. You get the same 0.005 effect if instead of raising the RH from 1% (at 92F) you drop the Barometric pressure from 1015 to 997 (at sea level). If you raise the elevation from 0 to 165m you get that same 0.005 difference, and you get a 0.002 difference by changing the elevation by all of 60m.

The humidity effect is so small that no one should bother to actually cite it as a reason for a fast or slow time.

http://jmureika.lmu.build/track/DensityAltitude.html

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Schippers may have some time to get it together but she couldn't even beat Prandini today...her great top end speed was a couple of years ago...
    But you have to look at the context. She lost her speed maintenance and top end when she went from Benemma to Reider. Reider destroyed all her strengths. She is now back with Benemma from mid-winter as you know, and she has to adjust to a different type of training again. Reider over emphasised weight training, I think we can all agree on that, but hopefully she is back to something that suits her better. Don't forget she was injured in March.

As for not beating Prandini as a reason to discount her, that's silly. Its currently swings and roundabouts, there is no dominant force in this event at present and no one is unbeaten. Schippers beat Prandini in Stockholm & Oslo quite comfortably. She was nipped by her here, but Prandini has the trials in 3 weeks and is heading for a peak. Schippers was also 6/10ths behind DAS in Stockholm. She was 2/10ths behind her here. Comparing the two might be more appropriate as European athletes with no tough trials to qualify.

DAS was comfortably beaten by Thompson and Okagbare here, both of whom she has already comfortably beaten herself this season. In fact, she totally destroyed Okagbare in Doha.

Thompson beat Okagbare in Nanjing, but was beaten by her here. She was behind DAS in Doha, but ahead of her here.

All these women are at different stages in their season, its so early and some have NCs and some don't, while others are slowly working to a peak. It's great to see Okagbare at her best, but in 3 months time when we get to the worlds, I bet Schippers will be finishing ahead of her & Prandini in the 200m. She's a proven championship performer - her fastest 200m in 2014 was at the Euros; her fastest of 2015 at the Worlds, her 2nd fastest in 2016 at the Olympics (she only ran 2/100ths faster in Zurich) her fastest in 2017 at the Worlds and her fastest in 2018 at the Euros, her next best at the Continental Cup - and she has time. She has no tough trials to peak for like the US athletes either. She also has the motivation of defending her title. Plus the 200m will not be stacked like the 100m.
    Last edited by Gabriella2; 07-01-2019 at 11:47 AM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    Sifan Hassan 8:18.48!
    Best ever [non-1993 Chinese] outdoor.

Exceeded only by Dibaba's indoor 8:16.60.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    Cunningham also went over 2m but she had 1.99 already 3 years ago. This should make her the 7th American over 2.00.
    9th American over 2m if one includes indoor performers, and excludes, of course, McPherson's drug DQ from 2014.

8. Collapse Details

OK, I get that, but what about everyone else? These times were below average for a Diamond league race with that much talent in it. I mean no one but Norman broke 45 seconds? Kerley ran 45.33? If Rai Benjamin can get around the track in 47.16, I dont know what happened to the 400 field. Strange.

9. Collapse Details

Even though he was winning/did win the 400, Norman looked like a rusty gate all the way, especially in the home stretch... tight as a drum !

10. Collapse Details

True...I'm guilty for taking the bait...

Folks think Coleman wasn't at 100% and still ran 9.81...Doha is going to be so exciting.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!