Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksf View Post
    I did go online before making this post. Most jumpers of previous eras, moved forward on way or another after landing, so the spot for measurement was where they feet landed, not where their butt/body fell backwards, as it is with today's jumpers.
    I have been broad/long jumping for 80 years and never heard of this and don't know how it would be possible. When jumper falls back, s/he obliterates the original foot plant.
    The rule is closest mark to the board of any part of body, including hand or hair.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksf View Post
    the spot for measurement was where they feet landed, not where their butt/body fell backwards, as it is with today's jumpers.
    ?
    I think you mistaking the natural entry point for the butt as 'falling back'. I don't see good LJers falling back, but I do see their butt hitting further back than their feet, which only means that they did a good job of keeping their feet up and forward. Btritney Reese used to have a problem landing in a sitting position, which meant her feet mark was what they measured to, but her hips could have gone a lot further, iF It's your foot-mark they measure, you have a problem, cuz the CoG was going to go further. Getting the foot and butt mark coincident is also not a goal. Getting your butt as far as you can is all that matters. Getting your arms and legs in front sets you up for the best butt-mark.

[too many butts in this explanation!]

3. Collapse Details

There are some jumpers who sort of "accordion" their bodies , land on feet, lean forward, sit down on their heels so butt never touches sand, measurement is from foot mark.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    ?
    I think you mistaking the natural entry point for the butt as 'falling back'. I don't see good LJers falling back, but I do see their butt hitting further back than their feet, which only means that they did a good job of keeping their feet up and forward. Btritney Reese used to have a problem landing in a sitting position, which meant her feet mark was what they measured to, but her hips could have gone a lot further, iF It's your foot-mark they measure, you have a problem, cuz the CoG was going to go further. Getting the foot and butt mark coincident is also not a goal. Getting your butt as far as you can is all that matters. Getting your arms and legs in front sets you up for the best butt-mark.

[too many butts in this explanation!]
    I like your explanation. For years I have watched and admired this event, because it requires a skill I do not have. I may have been under a mistaken impression for decades, but it has seemed to me that an efficient landing had the feet in front of the hips at landing, they form a pivot point to pull the CG forward, and the sitzmark was at or in front of the mark made by the feet (obviously requiring a lot of core strength).

If I have been wrong in that (highly possible), what should I be watching to see when a jumper has landed properly to get the most out of a jump?