Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Historical "Fake News" on NBC Prefontaine Coverage
    A minor error to most but to true historians a major error that occurred in mini documentary that followed 1500 meter final and commercial break. NBC had a mini- picture-documentary of the 1962 USA vs Russia Meet which was held at Stanford. They had photos of Wilma Rudolph and Valery Brumel but one photo showed sprinters with "Bob Hayes" 100 meters" written into the top left hand corner of photo, when in fact it was actually a photo of Paul "Otie" Drayton winning the 200 meters with teammate Roger Sayers to left of photo taking second.

I am sure no one noticed but me but I was interested in memory lane and recognized Drayton and saw "Bob Hayes" name on photo. Hayes won 100 meters race the day before and was not in 200 meter race with Drayton and Sayers.

No big error but not sure if anyone else noticed.
    Sorry I checked replay and it came just before 1500 meter final
    Last edited by midwestfan; 07-01-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling, facts error

2. Collapse Details

I noticed it too.
    Anyone know when the Stanford Track seating capacity was downsized from what is had been in 1962?

3. Collapse Details

SF Examiner story on 1962 USA v USSR meet headlined 81,000 in attendance in stadium.
    Have no idea of date in downsize of stadium, probably an alumni would know.

4. Collapse Details

Isn't Atticus a Stanford alum? Oh, wait, he reminds us of that almost daily. (Almost as much as I remind you of the Duke Blue Devils!)

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Isn't Atticus a Stanford alum? Oh, wait, he reminds us of that almost daily. (Almost as much as I remind you of the Duke Blue Devils!)
    Jeez, ya don't have to be a Red Tree Farmer to read Wikipedia!

Stanford Stadium opened in 1921 as a football and track stadium. Its original seating capacity was 60,000, which grew to 89,000 by 1927 as a nearly enclosed bowl. Immediately following the 2005 season, the stadium was demolished and rebuilt as a dual-deck concrete structure, without a track. Today, it seats 50,424.

6. Collapse Details

As I recall, there were still remnants of a track inside the football stadium when the USATF(?) Ch were held there several years ago.. year of the Sandboni failure.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    USATF (twice) was a couple of years before the rebuild

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    USATF (twice) was a couple of years before the rebuild
    It was not a usable track.. The meet was held at the current track.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    we're talking at cross-purposes... when USATF was at Stanford the "remnants of a track" were indeed still inside the main stadium

10. Collapse Details

I competed at a dual meet in Stanford Stadium in 1966 in front of about 88,500 empty seats. The cavernous enclosure was a little creepy :-)
    But the ancient rolled grass jumping aprons were magnificent! It was really cool to high jump off the same surface where Thomas had set the WR and Faust became the youngest American to clear 7 feet.