Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Of course the Commonwealth Games use to be a major meet also...
    With the influx of world talent to USA universities, the NCAAs have surpassed them both in many regards, (almost?) on a par with the Euro Championships and more frequent!
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    7,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I forgot there even was a Pan Am Games anymore...use to be a big deal...
    Here in Indy, back in 1987, it was a BIG deal, for all sports. Our little town had hit the Big Leagues. But for Track itself, to the athletes, it is now considered in the minor leagues. So now with minor league athletes, the public does not care much.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #13
    It would be interesting to see if there's any legal action out of this. Methinks it's not a contract, because I don't see consideration. But there could be other legal avenues available.

    The problem is that courts almost universally grant specific performance only for valid contracts.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    Was it ever a big deal with respect to track and field?
    There have been 6 world records set at the Pan Am Games
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #15
    The PanAm Games were a much bigger deal before the WC began in 1983 and also held the year before each Summer OG. After that, the USA athletes at the PanAm became the second-string.

    From a track & field standpoint, what would work best would be to have the PanAm Games in the even-numbered years between Sumner OG. It could rival the European Championships. But apparently the other sports want the status quo.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    The PanAm Games were a much bigger deal before the WC began in 1983 and also held the year before each Summer OG. After that, the USA athletes at the PanAm became the second-string.

    From a track & field standpoint, what would work best would be to have the PanAm Games in the even-numbered years between Sumner OG. It could rival the European Championships. But apparently the other sports want the status quo.

    You then run the risk of losing the Caribbean to the Commonwealth Games.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #17
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A Temperate Island
    Posts
    7,488
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott View Post
    It would be interesting to see if there's any legal action out of this. Methinks it's not a contract, because I don't see consideration. But there could be other legal avenues available.

    The problem is that courts almost universally grant specific performance only for valid contracts.
    Pan Ams are explicitly covered in the Amateur Sports Act, this meet is far more protected than most. The courts will expect athletes to exhaust their due process with USATF and the USOC first. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that today has been busy for both entities...
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #18
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A Temperate Island
    Posts
    7,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Of course the Commonwealth Games use to be a major meet also...
    Seems like they still are for most countries who are involved?
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #19
    None of you might care about the Pan Am games, but the athletes do. Remember, athletes get points to boost their overall IAAF rankings so that they have a better shot to participate in the Olympics.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    10,776
    Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Seems like they still are for most countries who are involved?
    They are indeed involved....however years ago it was really a big deal ...on par with the present WCs.. now it just sort of exists...
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •