Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I hate to detract from a great topic, but
    what ever became of the mega talent Friday? He was the real deal.
    Excellent question.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I hate to detract from a great topic, but
    what ever became of the mega talent Friday? He was the real deal.
    He's still running, but he's never approached what he did in high school. He ran 10.17 in the 2016 Olympic Trials and his best since then is 10.45, which he ran a few weeks ago.

3. Collapse Details

the entire black/white sprinter discussion should pretty much end.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    the entire black/white sprinter discussion should pretty much end.
    Agreed. But it is the Elephant In The Room.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Until the short sprints at the highest level aren't so monochromatic
    They already aren't. People think they know something about other's people's DNA, when obviously they don't. Please tell me what 'color' Lolo Jones was.

6. Collapse Details

Letís see. Morrow and Simes best 100 meter times were 10.2 and 10.1 respectively, both hand timed. These times convert to 10.44 and 10.34. Boling has run 10.13 legal which is equivalent to a 9.9 hand time. So tell me how they would have made him eat their dust. His best time is better than Borzov in the 72 Olympic final who was also no slouch.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74
    For the life of me I can't figure out why talking about it is so problematic.
    I have no problem discussing race issues. These are my problems discussing this particular issue - the sprints.

1. As Atticus stated, how to define a race in so many athletes of mixed racial background?

2. It is not nearly as monochromatic as people tend to pretend. It tends to be that way on a male side, not so on a distaff side.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details

I don't mind this discussion, however difficult it may to define race. Here's one reason why. Gary Corbitt posts about US black athletes in distance running, at which they have not been so successful, and nobody minds that - we actually like it.

Discussing white sprinters is simply another variant of that argument, since US white sprinters have not historically been that good, since the days of Morrow and Sime. And we often see things like "first Asian to win a medal in ..." Its just another example of when things are different they are interesting.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ArchH41 View Post
    Let’s see. Morrow and Simes best 100 meter times were 10.2 and 10.1 respectively, both hand timed. These times convert to 10.44 and 10.34. Boling has run 10.13 legal which is equivalent to a 9.9 hand time. So tell me how they would have made him eat their dust. His best time is better than Borzov in the 72 Olympic final who was also no slouch.
    Morrow and Sime ran on cinder and mud tracks as opposed to artificial, rubberized surfaces, which would greatly affect those times. You can only compare to the degree you dominated your era, because of different equipment and tracks, and Morrow and Sime were the best sprinters of the late 1950s.

10. Collapse Details

1. As Atticus stated, how to define a race in so many athletes of mixed racial background?

There seemed to be no such confusion defining Halle Berry as "first African American" Oscar Winner for Best Actress.

There seemed to be no such confusion defining Pres Obama as "first Black President." Otherwise, a lot of people were duped into voting for him on just such grounds and the Dems should be applauded for the ruse of the Century(s).

Yes, there are some white folk short sprinting, but across American sports and in the short sprints -especially on the male side of things - there is an overwhelming theme where speed is the most important skill set. When there is a deviation/change in that theme it's interesting and notable. People like talking about interesting and notable things. I promise you people are talking about at:

Work
    Barbershop
    Bars
    Homes
    Parties

To name a few places.

We talk about it in my household, it can hardly be avoided. My in-laws talk about it. It's nothing to be ashamed or scared of...it's interesting and when my kids, without any prompting or prior knowledge, ask about the 100m final because they notice...I'm not burying my head and deflecting in some weird white-fear, white-panic, "oh no, we can't talk about this Seinfeldian "should we be talking about this" nonsense.
    Last edited by scottmitchell74; 06-28-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!