Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Johnson with his "implausible deltoid" and all.
    David Oliver had ridiculous delts too.

https://rodonline.typepad.com/.a/6a0...878a970b-800wi

2. Collapse Details

Those 100m finals...such diversity. 😈

😊
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

3. Collapse Details

Wasn’t one of Hayes’ 9.1 centuries (yards) run on a tartan surface? 1963 AAU in St. Louis I think. If so, by this logic of modernized surfaces shouldn’t he have run faster (he was clocked 5 times at that time)?

4. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=ArchH41;2710974]Wasn’t one of Hayes’ 9.1 centuries (yards) run on a tartan surface? 1963 AAU in St. Louis I think.

How can anyone ( old enough ! ) forget the headline on TF&N's first page the following month:

Hayes " Bounces" to 9.1

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Carl Lewis famously eschewed 'body-building', but I am convinced he could have been faster with more weight-room work. Everyone thinks building mass means weight-gain and inflexibility, but you actually CAN get faster as you get stronger, if you do it right.
    It's quite possible building more mass could have helped his sprinting, but it could have also hurt his LJ results.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchH41 View Post
    Wasn’t one of Hayes’ 9.1 centuries (yards) run on a tartan surface? 1963 AAU in St. Louis I think. If so, by this logic of modernized surfaces shouldn’t he have run faster (he was clocked 5 times at that time)?
    hand timing being what it was, who knows the relative value of his 9.1s? Logic says there was probably a vast difference.

ps--to be precise, the St. Louis 9.1, yes, was on tartan, but not on Tartan, the former becoming the generic term for synthetic tracks with a lower-case t. I believe it was Grasstex.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    It's quite possible building more mass could have helped his sprinting, but it could have also hurt his LJ results.
    hmm...good point...
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Or, just as easily, improved it.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    hand timing being what it was, who knows the relative value of his 9.1s? Logic says there was probably a vast difference.

ps--to be precise, the St. Louis 9.1, yes, was on tartan, but not on Tartan, the former becoming the generic term for synthetic tracks with a lower-case t. I believe it was Grasstex.
    Working without sources at hand, I believe the auto time on this Hayes mark was 9.39. Compare that to Frank Budd's WR 9.2 from two years earlier, which was 9.36.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dj View Post
    Working without sources at hand, I believe the auto time on this Hayes mark was 9.39. Compare that to Frank Budd's WR 9.2 from two years earlier, which was 9.36.
    I'm surprised at 0.29+ on the Hayes difference. Where I have seen the hand and auto times at the high level meets (Olympics go back to at least 1948, don't they?), experienced officials had closer to a 0.1 difference than the sacred 0.24 (or 0.14). My local volunteer timing crews during the transition, well, I just wished they could have stopped anticipating the finish and gotten to near 0.3. I'm sure someone must have done the comparison more scientifically.