Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74
    There seemed to be no such confusion defining Halle Berry as "first African American" Oscar Winner for Best Actress.
    Yes, many people tend to think they know something. I did emphasize that it is My problem.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I don't mind this discussion, however difficult it may to define race.
    So how can we have a meaning discussion about something we can't even agree on what the entering parameters are?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    So how can we have a meaning discussion about something we can't even agree on what the entering parameters are?
    Again, if we can't define the parameters why it is OK for Gary C's posts and to discuss those? Those would suffer from the same problems of definition.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    why it is OK for Gary C's posts
    Gary C? You lost me.
    Any discussion on race that creates differences based on skin color is, by definition, racist. On the other hand, I'm fine with discussions about the relative differences between natives of west central Africa and east central Africa and preponderance of fast-twitch vs. slow-twitch muscle fibers.

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchH41 View Post
    Let’s see. Morrow and Simes best 100 meter times were 10.2 and 10.1 respectively, both hand timed. These times convert to 10.44 and 10.34. Boling has run 10.13 legal which is equivalent to a 9.9 hand time. So tell me how they would have made him eat their dust. His best time is better than Borzov in the 72 Olympic final who was also no slouch.
    Because you can't compare 1) track surfaces from 1956 with those of 2019 2) can't even compare training from the 50s with what the kids do today. 3) diet.

Morrow would bury Boling, it's not even close. Same with Sime and Borzov. It's preposterous to mention a HS sprinter in the same sentence as the Olympic medalists. It's like saying Boling is only 7/100s shy of Hasley Crawford. Simply preposterous.
    Last edited by user4; 06-28-2019 at 09:50 PM.

6. Collapse Details

I think the original post was about fastest sprinter in terms of time. These days that means FAT times. Morrow, Sime, Patton, almost anyone from the 60s or before, are out of the picture because they ran hand times.
    So in that case, Boling has one of the fastest 100m times (FAT) amongst white American sprinters, but definitely not the fastest.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Because you can't compare 1) track surfaces from 1956 with those of 2019 .....
    based on how easy it is to break 10 these days (relatively speaking), track surfaces have improved mightily just since the 90s.

8. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    based on how easy it is to break 10 these days (relatively speaking), track surfaces have improved mightily just since the 90s.
    Great point, I'd like to see the ball bearing rebound test on every Olympic track from 1906 to 2016.

9. Collapse Details

I'm with Atticus here. Until someone can define exactly what "white" means we have no objective basis for categorizing people. No rational discussion can result.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Great point, I'd like to see the ball bearing rebound test on every Olympic track from 1906 to 2016.
    Actually, that's a great idea!