Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Sycamore Canyon

1. Collapse Details
    Sycamore Canyon
    Happy 70th birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who competed in three Olympic Games and won no medals in the last of those three Games.

Our birthday athlete won Olympic gold in the same continent where this person was born.

This champion competed in three different events at the Olympic Games, but never in the hurdles.

Most athletes do not set world records in winning the Olympic gold medal, however it happened to our birthday individual.

I imagine you must know this champion, so please name our birthday athlete for this fourth Monday of July.

2. Collapse Details

Haha, if the answer is what I think it is, this is a bit too easy. There has been some talk about this 70-year birthday in papers I usually read.

So I shall leave it for others to ponder. I am sure it is less easy for some other people.

3. Collapse Details

Olli, judging by the tone of your laugh (Haha), I would say you definitely know who this athlete is.

4. Collapse Details

Your hints are nicely cunning in some respects, though.

5. Collapse Details

I think I've figured out who the athlete is, but I've no idea what Olli and DoubleRBar's clues are supposed to mean. (I, too, saw a recent reference to this birthday elsewhere.)

6. Collapse Details

I'll take a guess; Lasse Viren.

7. Collapse Details

Happy birthday today to Lasse Viren. Very well done, wamego relays champ. Of course Viren won the 5,000 and the 10,000 in Munich and again in Montreal. He was fifth place twice in the Olympics: Fifth in the Montreal marathon and fifth place in the Moscow 10,000.