Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Wayne County

1. Collapse Details
    Wayne County
    Happy 49th birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who won an Olympic gold medal on a Wednesday and another one three days later.

This athlete competed in only one Olympic Games, but did win a World Championship gold medal and a World Championship silver medal.

Don't worry about hurdles at the Olympics when thinking about our birthday champion.

Our birthday athlete graduated from my high school over twenty years after I graduated. It is true that we did not have any classes together, but we did run on the same dirt track.

I imagine you must know this champion's name. Go ahead and name our birthday person for this third Wednesday of June.

2. Collapse Details

Quincy Watts

3. Collapse Details

Happy birthday today to Quincy Watts (49) and nice job, cladthin. If you were lucky enough to see Quincy run in the early 1990's, you remember how smooth he was. His semi-final 400 in Barcelona (1992) remains etched in my memory as the definition of a smooth and controlled race. He ran the second leg (43.1) on the world record setting four by 400 relay in Barcelona.

4. Collapse Details

Thanks DRB. I did see him in 92-at his best at that time, his performances appeared effortless as you mentioned. I recall in high school he had very good 100/200 times but with a history of hamstring injuries he was moved up the 400m where he obviously enjoyed great sucess.
    Ironically, speaking of QW just 25 years ago Monday I was in a sports bar/restaurant in Knoxville (U.S. nationals were at UT) where Quincy sat a few tables away with Mike Conley as we all watched the O.J. low speed chase on tv.

By the way I lived in Oakland County many years ago.
    Last edited by cladthin; 06-19-2019 at 05:05 PM.

5. Collapse Details

I believe Jim Bush had some influence on Quincy and his move to the 400. At Taft High School, he was second in the state meet 100 (10.59) during his sophomore year. His junior year he won the state meet 100 (10.49). He won the state meet 200 in both in sophomore year (21.03) and his junior year (20.99). His senior year (1988) he was second place in the state meet 200 (21.02). Brian Bridgewater won it in 21.00.

His sophomore year, Watts anchored the four by 100 relay team to a second place finish in 41.58. His junior year, he again anchored the Taft relay at the state meet, but they did not finish the race. Taft took 7th place in the relay during his senior year.