Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 148
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    Is Williams pushing for a 200m spot or will Calvert get the spot for Doha?
    I thought only a world leader at the time of the trials was eligible for a medical exemption.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by reggaeirie1234 View Post
    I thought only a world leader at the time of the trials was eligible for a medical exemption.
    Top 3 on the world list are eligible.

    BW definitely doesn't satisfy that condition. But only 4 women who were in the Trials 200m final have the 23.02 standard for Doha. If two of them decide against contesting the 200m (ET and SAFP), that makes BW the fastest contender for the third spot (Janeek Brown and Shericka Jackson are evidently going to stick to other events, the 100mh and 400m respectively).
    Last edited by 18.99s; 06-25-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui
    Posts
    6,561
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Historically, US athletes have favored our system precisely because it avoids politics and the suspicion that some athletes are being favored by selectors who may be influenced by sponsors, personal relationships, and/or other factors that they think should be irrelevant.
    For a country the size of the USA and with the numbers of ranked athletes, in almost every event, the current system is the only fair system.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    For a country the size of the USA and with the numbers of ranked athletes, in almost every event, the current system is the only fair system.
    Facts not in evidence. We haven't tried any other in 50 years.
    Not to mention the fact that it hasn't been "3-past-the-post" for quite a while. With all the A and B standards messes, it can be 1st, 4th and 7th, depending on who had the A-quals. (I think we had that in the mJT not too long ago).
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    For a country the size of the USA and with the numbers of ranked athletes, in almost every event, the current system is the only fair system.
    I totally agree.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Facts not in evidence. We haven't tried any other in 50 years.
    Not to mention the fact that it hasn't been "3-past-the-post" for quite a while. With all the A and B standards messes, it can be 1st, 4th and 7th, depending on who had the A-quals. (I think we had that in the mJT not too long ago).
    Yes, it has. It's the first 3 past the post who have the standard.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Sub11 mothers, (11+1) :
    10.73 Shelly-Ann Fraser-Price
    10.77 Irina Privalova
    10.81 Evelyn Ashford
    10.82 Gwen Torrence
    10.83 @julietcuthbert
    10.93 Christine Arron
    10.96 Galina Malchugina
    10.96 Eldece Clarke
    10.97 Angella Issajenko
    10.99 Valerie Brisco
    10.99 Mary Onyali
    (DQ 10.91 Marion Jones)
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    So Danielle Williams is likely to not be selected for Doha. This is foolish.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by eightsevensix View Post
    So Danielle Williams is likely to not be selected for Doha. This is foolish.
    I mean..
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui
    Posts
    6,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Facts not in evidence. We haven't tried any other in 50 years.
    Not to mention the fact that it hasn't been "3-past-the-post" for quite a while. With all the A and B standards messes, it can be 1st, 4th and 7th, depending on who had the A-quals. (I think we had that in the mJT not too long ago).
    The US system is still fair. It has to operate within the boundaries set by the IAAF. The first 3 who meet the A standard are in. At least that's my understanding of the US system
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •