Facts, Not Fiction

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Let's not start that crap again. There was nothing leisurely about it. She ran a good controlled, relaxed race (which is, of course, exactly what everyone should be trying to do). Calling it leisurely (aka 'jogging') insults her and her effort.
    I'll use whatever adjective I see fit, thank you. However, I do respectfully suggest you go look up the word leisurely which means 'relaxed', and its synonyms include 'unrushed, easy, effortless' etc. Leisurely does not mean 'jogging'. She ran 1 second slower that she did in the final, so that was certainly an undemanding and leisurely heat. So take your wee temper tantrum elsewhere and use it appropriately on someone else.

Now, back to sensible discussion. That 22.22 was SAFP's 5th fastest ever, she has only run faster in 2012 (twice) and in 2013 (twice), the years she ran the 200m in the Olympics and Worlds, and thus is her fastest 200m for 6 years! Prior to the World Relays I would not have thought she would be even running the 200m this season, but her 200m leg there was excellent. She ran Thompson so close in the final here, if she chooses to double she is a definite medal threat at this point. It obviously depends on who else starts that event in Doha and in what form.

As for Thompson, this is actually her joint 5th fastest time ever, which shows how little she runs the event. Other than in Beijing '15 and Rio '16, she's only dipped under 22 secs in Zurich '16 (21.85) and Eugene '17 (21.98). She looked absolutely exhausted at the end of the race though, flat on her back!

Both women are in their best form. I guess their competitors over 200m (DAS & Schippers) may take some comfort in the fact that their 200m times were not as amazing as their 100m times. The 100m is pretty much sewn up to me.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    I am so glad the U.S. does not select its Olympic/WC teams the way Jamaica does. Selection by committee??? So politics, favoritism, etc. does not come into play when its done that way? I know most of the rest of the world does it that way, but........SMH!!!!
    If you have a system that isn't first 3 past the post you do really need to have set criteria as to what will guarantee selection or at least put you in contention for it so that athletes have some actual idea of what might be required. In the UK that does lead to some rather arcane criteria being published each winter.

I think in a small country like Jamaica there is a danger of politics being a problem if you are not in a certain squad. In a large country like the USA you might be open to accusations of a particular region being favored or bias for or against pros or college athletes.

3. Collapse Details

Re the false start in the 100h -- I've heard from two people who were at the stadium, who said there were noises in the crowd when the race was starting, including apparently a bursting balloon, and they also heard two gunshots from outside the stadium.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 06-24-2019 at 11:29 AM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    If you have a system that isn't first 3 past the post you do really need to have set criteria as to what will guarantee selection or at least put you in contention for it so that athletes have some actual idea of what might be required. In the UK that does lead to some rather arcane criteria being published each winter.

I think in a small country like Jamaica there is a danger of politics being a problem if you are not in a certain squad. In a large country like the USA you might be open to accusations of a particular region being favored or bias for or against pros or college athletes.
    Historically, US athletes have favored our system precisely because it avoids politics and the suspicion that some athletes are being favored by selectors who may be influenced by sponsors, personal relationships, and/or other factors that they think should be irrelevant.

5. Collapse Details

Really enjoyable championships in the end with some stand-out performances. In particular, it was great to see SAFP and Thompson back so close to top form given recent events.

The women's 100mh was a shame but a hard situation to navigate given Williams' refusal to leave the track. The loss of Bloomfield, Allon, Davis and Gordon in the sprints were a huge shame. I hope Briana Williams recovers quickly, but I'm not sure it would've been the best idea for her to double so soon.

Anyone know if Dacres was alright? That performance was very sub-par for someone who is usually so consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    That 22.22 was SAFP's
    5th fastest ever, she has only run faster in 2012 (twice) and in 2013 (twice), the years she ran the 200m in the Olympics and Worlds, and thus is her fastest 200m for 6 years!
    I think she also ran a 22.15 all the way back in 2008 also at trials, but agree with your post. It will be very interesting to see who does what.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    That 22.22 was SAFP's 5th fastest ever, she has only run faster in 2012 (twice) and in 2013 (twice), the years she ran the 200m in the Olympics and Worlds, and thus is her fastest 200m for 6 years!
    As Paced pointed out, above, she ran 22.15 at the Trials in 2008. She also ran a windy 22.10 (+2.4) in 2011.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Paced View Post
    Anyone know if Dacres was alright? That performance was very sub-par for someone who is usually so consistent.
    Crappy throwing circle, perhaps? The SP results were underwhelming as well.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Historically, US athletes have favored our system precisely because it avoids politics and the suspicion that some athletes are being favored by selectors who may be influenced by sponsors, personal relationships, and/or other factors that they think should be irrelevant.
    Also, the split between pro and college athletes often means that your Trials is the only place where certain athletes will actually compete against each other. Even amongst the pros there don't seem to be many other meets where all the most likely contenders for places face each other. As a result, it is unlikely that someone who narrowly gets 3rd at the US Trials will have previous been beaten 4 out of 4 times by the 4th placer. Such a scenario is much more likely in somewhere like Germany.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    AYE!! Don't waste committee time on the #1 selection! That would be an even bigger farce! The girl ran a NR 12.40 at the NCAA. Let the rest fight it out on the circuit; then make the selection by early-September.
    And backed it up with 22.40, so put her on leg 3.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Also, the split between pro and college athletes often means that your Trials is the only place where certain athletes will actually compete against each other. Even amongst the pros there don't seem to be many other meets where all the most likely contenders for places face each other. As a result, it is unlikely that someone who narrowly gets 3rd at the US Trials will have previous been beaten 4 out of 4 times by the 4th placer. Such a scenario is much more likely in somewhere like Germany.
    Also, USA being USA, if the criteria are anything other than very clear the spots will eventually be decided by lawyers rather than USATF selectors.

There was a time when US Trials were not strictly first-past-the-post; I think the last year like that was 1928. That didn't work out too well; pretty much everyone who missed and had a high profile tried to appeal, a bunch of people travelled all the way to Amsterdam hoping to somehow magically get a spot, and Lloyd Hahn (who did get a free spot in the 1500) bombed.