Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Igivup. I just scrolled through the entry list and could not find a single entrant listed as representing Ireland. Whom did I miss? (I very well could have missed someone, but I'm not going to scroll through it again--there are many, many pages of entries.
    As V-e said, the Ireland rep is Brenda Gannon in the race walk.

It appears that she is a very successful Irish academic economist, currently at The University of Queensland - profile. (I bet AS is jealous of that much research funding!)

She took up the sport in her late 30s (born 1974) and has represented Ireland in various competitions.

Here is her IAAF profile and here is an article about her mentioning both academics and walking when she was at The University of Manchester.

I'd say she is competing because she is currently registered with Athletics Australia but she retains her international affiliation with Ireland because of recent representation.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Ireland seems to be far from impoverished these days. In fact, some say it has a higher per capita GDP than the UK.

Maybe it's a swap deal for allowing Australia into the Eurovision Song Contest!
    Well GDP in both countries is skewed by finance (UK) and low tax on multinationals (ROI).

The UK is doing its best to bugger up the first and who knows how long the rest of the EU will tolerate ongoing tax rorts for Google etc. I'm not sure what the comparison would be like if you looked at the productive economy instead.

Here is an interesting article from last year talking about the Irish economy.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Are they also eligible to win official Oceanian Champ titles? There are good IAAF ranking points available for that, and I would find it unfair if athletes from one country were able to hold two continental titles at once.
    My original explanation of Ireland competing was what is known as a joke for the tiny Antipodean audience.

My post about Brenda Gannon above shows that it is only an artifact of somebody living in Australia, registered and competing in Australia but unable to represent Australia because of IAAF rules.

I haven't confirmed it but the Oceania will probably operate like Australian Championships where external athletes compete but medals go to Australians. For example, here is this year's 110H championships.

Code:
    1	Nicholas Hough	1993	NSW	13.55
    2	Kuei-Ru Chen	1993	TPE	13.68
    3	Wei-Ting Yang	1994	TPE	13.76
    4	Nicholas Andrews	1997	NSW	13.91
    5	Joshua Hawkins	1994	NZL	14.06
    6	Ivor Metcalf	1995	NSW	14.41
    7	Ben Khongbut	1989	VIC	14.63
    8	Jacob McCorry	1997	NSW	14.65
    Hough (1) = G, Andrews (4) = S and Metcalf (6) = B

4. Collapse Details

My main interests :
    Can Jacko get over 21?
    Can Nketia break Dad's 10.11?
    Is Eliza healthy and can she improve to 5.00?
    Can Zoe Hobbs get under 11.30?

5. Collapse Details

There will be a bunch of decent marks & 2-or-3-way battles but events with a little depth may be the more interesting contests:

M 100/200
    10.19/----- Jack Hale AUS
    10.21/20.27 Jeremy Dodson SAM
    10.27/20.45 Alex Hartmann AUS
    10.15/20.76 Jake Doran AUS
    10.19/20.76 Ed Nketia NZL

W 200
    22.93 Riley Day AUS
    23.06 Maddie Coates AUS
    23.13 Toea Wisil PNG
    23.19 Zoe Hobbs NZL
    23.28 Nana Owusu-Afriye AUS
    23.39 Olivia Eaton NZL

W 800
    1-59.06 Angie Petty NZL
    1-59.78 Catriona Bissett AUS
    2-00.13 Georgia Griffith AUS
    2-01.60 Morgan Mitchell AUS
    2-02.63 Katherine Camp NZL
    Last edited by Vault-emort; 06-23-2019 at 09:32 AM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    As V-e said, the Ireland rep is Brenda Gannon in the race walk.

It appears that she is a very successful Irish academic economist, currently at The University of Queensland - profile. (I bet AS is jealous of that much research funding!)

She took up the sport in her late 30s (born 1974) and has represented Ireland in various competitions.

Here is her IAAF profile and here is an article about her mentioning both academics and walking when she was at The University of Manchester.

I'd say she is competing because she is currently registered with Athletics Australia but she retains her international affiliation with Ireland because of recent representation.
    I believe she retains her international affiliation because she remains an Irish citizen and is not a citizen of Australia. As far as I can tell, she has never represented Ireland in an IAAF Rule 1 (a),(b),(c), (f), or (g) competition, which would create a "recent representation" problem. In any event, she is 44 years old (will be 45 in August), and I don't see any likelihood that her international affiliation will ever matter, except perhaps in Masters competition.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I believe she retains her international affiliation because she remains an Irish citizen and is not a citizen of Australia. As far as I can tell, she has never represented Ireland in an IAAF Rule 1 (a),(b),(c), (f), or (g) competition, which would create a "recent representation" problem. In any event, she is 44 years old (will be 45 in August), and I don't see any likelihood that her international affiliation will ever matter, except perhaps in Masters competition.
    Whether her Irish affiliation is compulsory or by choice, she is likely able to compete because she is registered to compete with the Queensland and Australian associations. I doubt that the Oceania organisers would accept a "normal" Irish athlete.

It's worth noting that some of the other nations competing will have some of their athletes resident in Australia as well. It's not unusual given the disparity in educational opportunities, coaching standards and training facilities.

Anyway, this whole issue is just a marketing masterstroke by the Oceania organisers to generate interest on this board - and it's working!

8. Collapse Details

Anyway, this whole issue is just a marketing masterstroke by the Oceania organisers to generate interest on this board - and it's working!
    Yee! Brilliant!

9. Collapse Details

Whether her Irish affiliation is compulsory or by choice, she is likely able to compete because she is registered to compete with the Queensland and Australian associations. I doubt that the Oceania organisers would accept a "normal" Irish athlete.
    That's very strange thinking, since it's a championship meet, where people compete for national teams.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    That's very strange thinking, since it's a championship meet, where people compete for national teams.
    It's entirely understandable, given the number of championship-level athletes in the Area, and their concentration in Australia.