Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
    That's got to be the smallest area with roughly 40 million people and AUS representing over half of that.
    There may be as many people as that within a 200 mile radius of where I live and a fair chunk of that is sea!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    There may be as many people as that within a 200 mile radius of where I live and a fair chunk of that is sea!
    Lucky you!!!!!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
    Thanks, the OP mentioned 22 countries attending but that list only has 20?
    The '22' quote was from the Oceanian site. It could even include invitational entries (I'm sure I saw someone listed as 'Ireland") or athletes listed in non-championship events (eg masters/para). Norfolk Island (part of Australia) might also compete as a 'nation' (as it did in the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Vault-emort View Post
    The '22' quote was from the Oceanian site. It could even include invitational entries (I'm sure I saw someone listed as 'Ireland") or athletes listed in non-championship events (eg masters/para). Norfolk Island (part of Australia) might also compete as a 'nation' (as it did in the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
    I don't think the Invitational and Regional Australia categories are counted in addition to the IAAF Oceania 20 because all 20 seem to have entrants.

Norfolk Island is an IAAF member separate from Ausralia, so is part of the 20.

I think the other two are Ireland and Wallis and Futuna a French Territory that is not an IAAF member and not part of French Polynesia which is an IAAF Oceania member.

Ireland is allowed to compete because as an improverished island nation that historically exports its population to Australia and New Zealand, it has all the characteristics of an Oceanic nation...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    I think the other two are Ireland and Wallis & Futuna.
    Good sleuthing.

Ireland is allowed to compete...
    No comment

6. Collapse Details

I don't think the Invitational and Regional Australia categories are counted in addition to the IAAF Oceania 20 because all 20 seem to have entrants.

Norfolk Island is an IAAF member separate from Ausralia, so is part of the 20.

I think the other two are Ireland and Wallis and Futuna a French Territory that is not an IAAF member and not part of French Polynesia which is an IAAF Oceania member.

Ireland is allowed to compete because as an improverished island nation that historically exports its population to Australia and New Zealand, it has all the characteristics of an Oceanic nation...
    Interesting! Makes me think about the US territories of Guam, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Is. and American Samoa. Can any American citizen compete under these territories if they chose to reside in one of them? I wish IAAF - whoops WA would put where the athlete was born in their profile info.

You would think some of those would be allowed to be under the 'area' of North America and Central America given their population and history if Ireland is allowed to compete under Oceania.
    Last edited by proofs in the pudd'in; 06-21-2019 at 09:57 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Ireland is allowed to compete
    Are they also eligible to win official Oceanian Champ titles? There are good IAAF ranking points available for that, and I would find it unfair if athletes from one country were able to hold two continental titles at once.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

8. Collapse Details

Ireland seems to be far from impoverished these days. In fact, some say it has a higher per capita GDP than the UK.

Maybe it's a swap deal for allowing Australia into the Eurovision Song Contest!

9. Collapse Details

Igivup. I just scrolled through the entry list and could not find a single entrant listed as representing Ireland. Whom did I miss? (I very well could have missed someone, but I'm not going to scroll through it again--there are many, many pages of entries.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Are they also eligible to win official Oceanian Champ titles? There are good IAAF ranking points available for that, and I would find it unfair if athletes from one country were able to hold two continental titles at once.
    I very much doubt it.

BTW - The athlete listed for Ireland is Brenda Gannon in the Women's 10k Walk so not even a WC event.

PLUS - results from a low-key warm-up meet at the track yesterday (21 June)

TOWNSVILLE - Oceania Invitational
    100 (0.2) Nketia NZL 10.35 Doran 10.41
    200 (0.3) Hartmann 21.13
    110H (1.8) Hough 13.80 Dubler 14.09
    HJ Kerr NZL 2.24
    LJ Mitrevski 7.69 (0.0)
    DIS Cooper 60.87

100 (0.7) Hobbs NZL 11.47
    200 (0.3) Day 23.54
    100H (1.8) Morrison NZL 13.80
    HJ Burnett 1.85
    SP Owers NZL 16.23
    DIS Hakeai NZL 55.73
    JAV Barber 61.04 (7-step runup) Peters NZL 54.81
    Last edited by Vault-emort; 06-22-2019 at 01:49 AM.