Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #31
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,033
    it's NOT an exhibition, any more than the Pre meet is
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #32
    Definition of exhibition
    1 : an act or instance of exhibiting
    2 British : a grant drawn from the funds of a school or university to help maintain a student
    3 : a public showing (as of works of art, objects of manufacture, or athletic skill)

    Looked like an exhibition of athletic skill to me.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #33
    Furthermore:
    With an elevated straight track constructed along Boylston Street between Exeter and Clarendon Streets, the world’s fastest men and women will sprint towards Copley Square, wowing fans and breaking records as the viewing public watches from only feet away from the track.
    VIP Finish line seats sell for $125 and are positioned just after the finish. All other areas along the straightaway are open to the public.
    Online sales of VIP tickets have ceased. VIP tickets will be available for sale at Copley Square starting at 12PM on Sunday, June 16.


    So, in keeping with an exhibition, the majority of viewers paid nothing.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    tallahassee
    Posts
    1,064
    It was a USATF sanctioned event. And per USATF;

    'Obtaining a USATF sanction involves filling out a sanction agreement to form a relationship between the sanctioned event and USATF. Basically, it means that an event has agreed to follow applicable USATF rules''

    So it's not a ''their meet, their rules'' circumstance.

    NBC said race officials claimed a lack of conclusive evidence. It would be appropriate for USATF to issue a statement elaborating on this claim, but I don't expect it.

    The reaction time for Lyles mentioned in the thread is irrelevant because that was for the race that went to conclusion.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #35
    Was there prize money for this meet? Does the IAAF or USATF count the results? If the answer is yes to either of these questions the rules should be strictly followed. If diehard track fans don't take the rules seriously why should casual fans view our sport any different than pro wrestling?
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #36
    Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    Definition of exhibition
    1 : an act or instance of exhibiting
    2 British : a grant drawn from the funds of a school or university to help maintain a student
    3 : a public showing (as of works of art, objects of manufacture, or athletic skill)

    Looked like an exhibition of athletic skill to me.
    You could say the same thing about any track meet, couldn't you?
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #37
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Was there prize money for this meet? Does the IAAF or USATF count the results? If the answer is yes to either of these questions the rules should be strictly followed. If diehard track fans don't take the rules seriously why should casual fans view our sport any different than pro wrestling?
    JC, I seriously doubt that the street track on Boylston St met the specs for an WA track.
    And there are several Track rules at various levels of the sport that should never be taken too seriously.....polka dots on leotards may ring a bell for some.

    Pro wrestling, it is my understanding, is scripted before hand with the results pre-determined. No one can seriously argue that Track and Field does likewise.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #38
    Absolutely. Which is why GH is mistaken about insisting this street fair race in Boston was
    NOT an exhibition.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #39
    The key word being "applicable". Adidas Boost put up their money, USATF has no complaints. The right decision was made, the weak, nonsensical explanation notwithstanding.

    False Start overlooked by Common Sense.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    N38 40, W 121 52
    Posts
    4,463
    Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    The reaction time for Lyles mentioned in the thread is irrelevant because that was for the race that went to conclusion.
    So that means that Lyles false-started twice, doesn't it. It was negative, so movement before the gun, right? Interesting.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •