Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    Pro wrestling, it is my understanding, is scripted before hand with the results pre-determined. No one can seriously argue that Track and Field does likewise.
    Obviously it was written into the script that Lyles wouldn't be DQ'ed for a false start. If you're going to make those sort of modifications to the rules because it's an "exhibition", it should apply to everyone, not just Lyles.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    the histrionics that are being thrown about here are hilarious.

We've all been to dozens of meets (to say nothing of team-based events) where we saw blown false starts, uncalled blocking fouls,, jumpers over the board, etc., etc. If it's a bad call left unremedied, you mumble a little and move on.

You don't decide that the whole meet/game is somehow a fraud and not worth mentioning. How about some perspective here?

3. Collapse Details

I hope the young stud Mr. Lyles gets a chance to read this ridiculously petty thread and gets a good laugh.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    So that means that Lyles false-started twice, doesn't it. It was negative, so movement before the gun, right? Interesting.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    No, it wasn't negative in the race that went to conclusion; it was a normal positive. You misread the first poster's punctuation.

As for big picture, context matters. This was an American meet and a Jamaican athlete was DQd for apparently the same offense. He accepted it with good sportsmanship and without making a stink.

And the meet was on national TV with commentators laughing at the apparent selective enforcement of the rules.

It's not the crime of the century either way but, as suggested, it would be appropriate for USATF to ask some questions and make a statement that either supports the decision or acknowledges a mistake.

5. Collapse Details

One possible difference -- Minzie's race (100) is an actual event with potential WC and OG consequences (qualifying).

Lyles ran the 150, which has zero consequences at all as far as I can tell.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Obviously it was written into the script that Lyles wouldn't be DQ'ed for a false start.
    I very much doubt that what to do if Lyles false started was "written into the script". I don't think anyone anticipated that he would false start.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post

well, other than providing a couple of pages of sturm and drang

8. Collapse Details

Aw, c'mon, gh. What would this Message Board be without some occasional sturm and drang? :-)

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    One possible difference -- Minzie's race (100) is an actual event with potential WC and OG consequences (qualifying).

Simbine's time does not appear on the 100m top list, so it may be that none of the times have qualifying significance.

But I don't think the Jamaican athlete who was DQd would agree there were no consequences. Prize money, opportunity to showcase, a lot of wasted travel time, etc.

And it's off the point of the justification apparently offered by race officials to NBC, the validity of which should be pretty easy for USATF to investigate.