Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

The fact that people who frequent this message board have trouble digesting the specifics of the system indicates signifiant problems. If we don't understand it, try explaining to the average TV viewer why Norman (the world leader and a current poster boy in IAAF propaganda) is not ranked among the top 100 in current rankings but Cherry (the guy with the slowest PB of any 400m entry in the upcoming Pre) is ranked #3 in the world. The word dysfunction comes to mind.
    Last edited by jc203; 06-25-2019 at 08:27 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    excellent post

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackk View Post
    T&F needs to find away to get their big names out on the circuits
    While I love it when DLs can fill out their fields with high rankers, and most athletes are trying to make a living, so they show up when invited, one size does not fit all. If you are a proven commodity and want to stay home and train, there must be a way to allow that. If it's it with a single mark or last year's ranking, I'm OK with that. There's always a couple of stars, Murofushi in 2012 springs to mind, that were invisible of the circuit, yet medalled when it counted.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    The fact that people who frequent this message board have trouble digesting the specifics of the system indicates signifiant problems. If we don't understand it, try explaining to the average TV viewer why Norman (the world leader and a current poster boy in IAAF propaganda) is not ranked among the top 100 in current rankings but Cherry (the guy with the slowest PB of any 400m entry in the upcoming Pre) is ranked #3 in the world. The word dysfunction comes to mind.
    Zowie....it's as bad as that? The sport is screwed....

Not so much as trying to understand it....but more how stupid it is.... how do you explain that?

If you want people to compete more...pay them....but obviously the money isn't there...extortion is the answer....

Comparing track to golf and tennis is idiotic....the great about track is a solo fast performance means something....

Meanwhile in golf and ....tennis! Who ever heard of great solo performances?
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-25-2019 at 08:41 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Zowie....it's as bad as that?
    Hmm... yeah, I think it is that bad. The great thing about track is that individual performances are objectively measured down to two decimal fractions in time and distance. Ignoring historic performances in a world ranking system really is stupid.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    ...Ignoring historic performances in a world ranking system really is stupid.
    all depends how you define "historic"; big part of the problem, as I see it, is that the IAAF system relies too much on marks that are old, out of date and stale.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    While I love it when DLs can fill out their fields with high rankers, and most athletes are trying to make a living, so they show up when invited, one size does not fit all. If you are a proven commodity and want to stay home and train, there must be a way to allow that. If it's it with a single mark or last year's ranking, I'm OK with that. There's always a couple of stars, Murofushi in 2012 springs to mind, that were invisible of the circuit, yet medalled when it counted.
    Agreed. Jenn Suhr in 2012 is another example

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackk View Post
    T&F needs to find away to get their big names out on the circuits, there are probably different ways to go about but this is one way.
    $$$ would work but they don't have that it seems.

9. Collapse Details

I see the world rankings system as a way for the IAAF to consolidate power.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    all depends how you define "historic"; big part of the problem, as I see it, is that the IAAF system relies too much on marks that are old, out of date and stale.
    What, exactly, is a stale mark? Old and out of date, I get, but stale???