Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 93
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    In the PV, I would say it's no big deal under the conditions you specified. In the LJ/TJ, a very bad idea to do it in the middle of the competition.
    Exactly. In PV, subsequent peformances will supersede the previous, so the time wasting/safety trade off can be worth it.

    However, in the horizontal jumps, the only reset is jump order with the earlier jumps still affecting the outcome.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,473
    All preliminary jumps transfer to finals and count in final placing so all jumpers are equally
    vulnerable/blessed to/by the vicissitudes if capricious winds.

    If all jumps have following/positive wind exceeding allowable limit for a record there can simply be no record, it does not affect final placing.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 06-24-2019 at 06:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #53
    When I first saw the Men 1500 time, thought it was a typo
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,042
    Using wind readings to break a tie won't always be fair. For example, one guy might be given the win because his jump had a +2.0m/s wind while it was sunny and warm beating someone who jumped the same distance with a +2.1 wind during a rain shower when it was 10 degrees cooler.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    14,963
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    All preliminary jumps transfer to finals and count in final placing so all jumpers are equally
    vulnerable/blessed to/by the vicissitudes if capricious winds.
    Let's assume in the first 3 rounds they jump into strong headwinds of 3-5 mps and one athlete gets a great jump given the conditions. Then you reverse the direction midway through the competition, and suddenly everyone start jumping a lot longer, so several jumpers beat that mark. If I was that jumper, I would feel badly screwed.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    6,578
    Quote Originally Posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
    . I did not know that is how they broke the tie - thanks - but I still think his jump was better given the 2.9 wind. If it's good enough to forgo a record because of and 'advantage'
    Good point.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    10,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Let's assume in the first 3 rounds they jump into strong headwinds of 3-5 mps and one athlete gets a great jump given the conditions. Then you reverse the direction midway through the competition, and suddenly everyone start jumping a lot longer, so several jumpers beat that mark. If I was that jumper, I would feel badly screwed.
    That's a valid point, but everyone will have an equal opportunity to jump with the plus winds. The object is to jump the farthest, regardless of conditions. Everyone had 3 jumps in crappy conditions to get in the top 8, then they got 3 jumps to go even farther. Wind directions can switch in mid-comp, this just helps it along.

    My experiences are just in HS; is there a rule against it in NCAA, USATF or IAAF?
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #58
    Yes. IAAF Rule 180.20, USATF Rule 180.1, NCAA Rule 6.1.17.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #59
    Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    And what if all jumps are over the limit? How are you going to handle that?
    Good point, I don't know I did think about it but if wind is an advantage then something should be done - again IMHO!
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    14,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    That's a valid point, but everyone will have an equal opportunity to jump with the plus winds. The object is to jump the farthest, regardless of conditions. Everyone had 3 jumps in crappy conditions to get in the top 8, then they got 3 jumps to go even farther. .
    But that substantially changes the rules of the game. Normally one great jump of out 6 is enough to win. In this case, you're making it virtually impossible to win with even the best possible jump in one the first 3 rounds. If you know there is strong headwind, why don't you switch directions before round 1 of the competition anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Wind directions can switch in mid-comp, this just helps it along.
    Sure they can, but getting screwed by God, or Mother Nature, isn't nearly the same as getting screwed by the officials.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •