Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
  1. Collapse Details

Well I think we know what is wrong; she was injured and is coming back! There is nothing to worry about yet, she has over 3 months until Doha. Start worrying if she doesn't improve in the next 12 weeks.

As for fouling, lots of the top throwers intentionally foul when the distance isn't long. I think Perkovic probably accidentally fouls more than most, but lots are intentional.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    As for fouling, lots of the top throwers intentionally foul when the distance isn't long. I think Perkovic probably accidentally fouls more than most, but lots are intentional.
    I have never understood the thinking behind deliberate fouls in throws and horizontal jumps. Sometimes a substandard mark is a tiebreaker.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I have never understood the thinking behind deliberate fouls in throws and horizontal jumps. Sometimes a substandard mark is a tiebreaker.
    I've never seen anyone intentionally foul and lose on the tiebreaker. They're mostly just embarrassed by the bad throw and want to delete the evidence!

4. Collapse Details

I have. I don't know if fouls were intentional but any mark beats a foul. It happens.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 06-19-2019 at 04:34 PM.

5. Collapse Details

I have. I don't know if fouls were intentional but any mark beats a foul. It happens.
    It does but it's more likely in LJ than discus.

Most elite LJ competitions will have a narrow band of performances of ~30-40 cm for the medallists jumps, so that's 1 of 30 or 40 measures to duplicate to require a tie break. That's not likely, but not impossible as you have experienced.

On the other hand, for the DT, you are talking about ~400 to 500 cm, so about 1 out of 12 to 13 times more possible measures to duplicate - that's next to impossible. Most walkout fouls are so bad that they are outside that range anyway, so wouldn't affect the result.

6. Collapse Details

There is that difference.

7. Collapse Details

There is that difference.
    I always like to prove that I didn't make something up, so I did a quick and dirty look through the men's DT data at www.alltime-athletics.com (>= 67m) and found only two instances of ties in first place.

• Madrid on 14 June 1985, where Juan Martinez Brito and Luis Mariano Delis both threw 69.32. Brito won, but the deciding throw was less than 67m, so I don't know what it was.
    • Berlin on 1 June 2008, where Ehsan Hadadi and Robert Harting both threw 69.12 with Hadadi winning with a 68.65 and 68.30 better than Harting's 2nd best of 67.70.

Other notable competitions were:

• San José on 25 May 1985 when 3 athletes tied for the 11th best throw of the day of 67.88. Athletes were Art Burns, Imrich Bugár & Knut Hjeltnes.
    • Schwechat on 5 September 1990 when Romas Ubartas tied first place with himself at 67.02.
    • Tallinn on 15 August 2006 when Gerd Kanter and Virgilijus Alekna tied for the second best throw of the day at 67.86.

If there's not a future trivia question in that lot, I'm not gh!

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    for notable discus ties, the 1958 NCAA

(Berkeley, June 13–14)
    (14 contestants, 7 finalists; Q—161-3/49.15)
    =1. Rink Babka (USC) Sr 186‑2
    =1. Al Oerter (Kansas) Sr 186‑2
    (rules had no tie-breaking provision;
    in any case, only longest throws measured)

(56.74)

9. Collapse Details

Purely Anecdotal: Twenty years ago, I worked a State HS LJ that went to the 4th tiebreaker where one jumper had a foul, the winner had a mark.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    How was Omar McLeod not DQ'd in that 110h race? He stumbled out of his lane and made contact with Shubenkov, causing him to fall, as well. You can see a photo of the incident here: https://buff.ly/2IKUePg.
    There is a question mark over Shubenkov's season.