Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Sorry, I do not buy it. He should have tried. Cheats himself, and cheats the fans.
    As PVP noted, even assuming the best result, if Sam clears 6.01 on his fourth attempt, the bar moves up (6.04 or 6.05) for each to most likely miss, then back down to 6.01 for his sixth attempt at 6.01+, and the win still far from guaranteed. He arrived at 6.01 with six clean attempts. He was looking at, even in the best case, his 12th attempt for the win. Sometimes it's best to accept second and live to fight another day.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Sam took his three jumps at 6.01. Each one got worse. He was clearly out of gas at the end. He did not want to participate in a jump off at all, he wanted to tie and split the money. You could hear the audio on the PV feed.

I'm not sure why you are referring to attemptS in a jump off. Each round is sudden death. Lisek made it on his first. There was no point in Sam making an attempt. There was NO chance he was going to clear the bar, based on how the previous three attempts looked, and Sam's own actions indicated he knew he was done for the day.

The only way the jump off would have continued would have been for Sam to clear the bar. Had he attempted and missed, it would have been over anyway.
    I will defer to your expertise Becca, I just was reading body language........although He hasn't come close to any 6m attempt this year that I have seen.
    Last edited by cajun5150; 07-18-2019 at 06:20 PM.

3. Collapse Details

To all wondering about Mondo's NH yesterday. He had a very bad case of flu (food poisoning) and was extremely sick yesterday....but he still tried to compete.

4. Collapse Details

Well I wasn't there, and sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. But as a general, repeat general, statement, for any competitor, you go by the rules, and do your best as long as is stipulated in the rules.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Well I wasn't there, and sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. But as a general, repeat general, statement, for any competitor, you go by the rules, and do your best as long as is stipulated in the rules.
    The rules now allow the vaulters to agree to tie for first. In Diamond League meets, I do not recall ever seeing a jump off since that rule went into effect.

Agreeing to tie is normally the best choice for elite vaulters in non-Championship meets. In this case, Lisek was very close on all three attempts at a bar of great significance. It made all the sense in the world for him to jump, and it made all the sense in the world for Sam to not jump.

Sam's concern was that if Lisek missed, and Sam refused to jump, they could keep lowering the bar for Lisek until he made it, then he wins.

But I am positive that if Lisek had missed that fourth attempt at 6.01, he would have stopped. He didn't care about that win, he cared about getting a 6 meter jump outdoors.

6. Collapse Details

Well said pvp, for the situation described. I cannot disagree !

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cajun5150 View Post
    To all wondering about Mondo's NH yesterday. He had a very bad case of flu (food poisoning) and was extremely sick yesterday....but he still tried to compete.
    Why do people call food poising the "flu"; the symptoms are not generally the same, the duration (ten days for the flu) of the affliction are rarely remotely the same, and there is no 'stomach flu'.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post

Sam's concern was that if Lisek missed, and Sam refused to jump, they could keep lowering the bar for Lisek until he made it, then he wins.
    I don't think so. If Lisek missed and Sam then refused to take part in the jump-off it would mean that Sam was defeated and Lisek would have been declared the winner at 5.95.
    Can't continue a jump-off with only one competitor.

9. Collapse Details

What happens with the Diamond League prize money in a two-way tie for first? Do they each get $10,000, or do they split the total money for first & second ($10K + $6K) and therefore get $8,000 each?

10. Collapse Details

The latter, I think. Same as ties for any other place.