Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Very very rare for Mondo to NH!

At least it was at a small meet.

3. Collapse Details

True small meet makes no difference in his World Ranking but still very surprised.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cajun5150 View Post
    I think he just NHed.........
    The irony here is that this is the same height he cleared 10 out of 11 tries in 30 minutes in practice one day. He obviously did not go to his 'safety pole' on the last try.
    Last edited by Atticus; 07-17-2019 at 11:34 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    The problem with Kendricks is that he seems to have less top-end than the others, at his best he's highly consistent at 59x but he's only ever cleared 600 once. Lisek has done 602 and 601 this month and was very close to 606 today, Mondo has already jumped 605 at a big meet, even Braz cleared 603 at the Olympics.

I'm generally bullish on Nilsen (have been for a long time), but I think he still needs another year or two of development to make a splash on the big stage.
    I have seen Kendricks clear some lower heights by whopping margins. Enough where you would think that 6.00 would not be as hard for him as it seems. He is so consistent until above 5.90. I wonder if there is a bit of a mental block at that level right now. Hope he gets over 6 a couple of times soon so maybe if there is a block it won't bother him any more.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by odelltrclan View Post
    I have seen Kendricks clear some lower heights by whopping margins. Enough where you would think that 6.00 would not be as hard for him as it seems. He is so consistent until above 5.90. I wonder if there is a bit of a mental block at that level right now. Hope he gets over 6 a couple of times soon so maybe if there is a block it won't bother him any more.

You notice he didn’t even take his attempts at 6.01 when he was in the jump off with Lisek would have just added to the “wall”.

I too believe that it has become mental barrier more so than physical.

7. Collapse Details

That was worth 1447 ranking points, now back into second behind Kendricks, that was a 30 point move today for Mondo!!

IAAF Rankings.......6/30/19
    Sam 1417
    Mondo 1384
    Timur 1372

Had to change my algorithm It was off I needed to not put date penalty on Euro Championship (Area Championships do not get date Penalty)

So new numbers now.

Sam 1417
    Mondo 1406
    Piotr 1406

Gonna come down to the DL Finals and WC who will be #1 at end of the year.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    You notice he didn’t even take his attempts at 6.01 when he was in the jump off with Lisek would have just added to the “wall”.

I too believe that it has become mental barrier more so than physical.
    Sam took his three jumps at 6.01. Each one got worse. He was clearly out of gas at the end. He did not want to participate in a jump off at all, he wanted to tie and split the money. You could hear the audio on the PV feed.

I'm not sure why you are referring to attemptS in a jump off. Each round is sudden death. Lisek made it on his first. There was no point in Sam making an attempt. There was NO chance he was going to clear the bar, based on how the previous three attempts looked, and Sam's own actions indicated he knew he was done for the day.

The only way the jump off would have continued would have been for Sam to clear the bar. Had he attempted and missed, it would have been over anyway.

9. Collapse Details

Sorry, I do not buy it. He should have tried. Cheats himself, and cheats the fans.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Sorry, I do not buy it. He should have tried. Cheats himself, and cheats the fans.
    Why risk injury? He isn't cheating anybody. Sam comes in low and jumps nearly every bar at every meet specifically because he wants to give the fans a good show, and he does, jump after jump, meet after meet. More consistently than any other vaulter in recent years.

He couldn't even get his toes over the bar on his third attempt at 6.01. Watching Sam go under the bar on a 4th attempt at 6.01 isn't giving the fans a good show, and honestly, it would have taken away from Lisek's moment. Ending on Lisek's 6.01 make was the perfect ending.