Facts, Not Fiction

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    ??? I thought he was staying in school.
    Taking a year off for the OLYMPICS perhaps?
    I actually think it would be a good idea to stay in school and take a lighter load, so his whole life isn't PV.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by odelltrclan View Post
    I dont claim to be a vault guru but just wonder if they have up too soon. He is up against the limits of how high a 4.90 pole will go. Maybe it will work 95% of the time and he has won all now but the Olympics. I just have to believe a longer pole is the only way he ever might get a sniff of the WR. Maybe that consistency wont be there but he just might get that one off performance of WR height. I seem to remember an interview though a few years back where he said that he did not believe that would ever be in the cards for him.
    Sam seems happy winning almost every meet and not going for the world record. He has said point blank in the mixed zone something to the effect of the world record not being in the cards for him.

He is making a good living in the sport, something only a handful of pole vaulters can do right now, and he has a good thing going with the Army, a nice wife, he is pretty much set for life.

It isn't that he doesn't want higher bars. He does. But my guess is that he knows that to break the WR, he would likely need to take risks that don't seem to be worth it, given that his relatively slow speed makes the prospect of ever getting the record a long shot.

The thing is, almost every meet he enters is a battle. Sam wins a lot, but he has to fight for it, and with Mondo and Lisek plus who knows who else having potential for bigger bars, he is going to have to keep fighting for wins for the rest of his career. He certainly is not coasting.

Sam's most likely path to Olympic gold is on a 4.90 pole.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    at this point the thread digressed into military service and the flag; now its own thread in Things Not Track forum

4. Collapse Details

Well Mondo turned 20. Would be a cool article on everything he accomplished as a teenager.

5. Collapse Details

Mondo was named to the Olympic squad today when the first few names, in all the sports, were announced. Only three of them in T&F, the other two were Ståhl(DT) and Karlström(race walk).