Facts, Not Fiction

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    That is a good question...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by odelltrclan View Post
    Why doesn't Kendricks go to a longer pole, even if only slightly larger?
    He tried it last season, both a 4.95 and 5 meter pole. Didnít prove benefital. My coach used to say what has more power a shorter fat rubber band or long skinny rubber band. Same concept with the vault.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jshapco2 View Post
    He tried it last season, both a 4.95 and 5 meter pole. Didnít prove benefital. My coach used to say what has more power a shorter fat rubber band or long skinny rubber band. Same concept with the vault.
    I dont claim to be a vault guru but just wonder if they have up too soon. He is up against the limits of how high a 4.90 pole will go. Maybe it will work 95% of the time and he has won all now but the Olympics. I just have to believe a longer pole is the only way he ever might get a sniff of the WR. Maybe that consistency wont be there but he just might get that one off performance of WR height. I seem to remember an interview though a few years back where he said that he did not believe that would ever be in the cards for him.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by odelltrclan View Post
    He is up against the limits of how high a 4.90 pole will go. Maybe it will work 95% of the time and he has won all now but the Olympics. I just have to believe a longer pole is the only way he ever might get a sniff of the WR.
    If it were only that simple. I have been fighting with my vaulters for 30 years to get on bigger poles. Sometimes I win; sometimes they win; sometimes we both lose.

We have to trust that Sam is doing everything he can to jump higher and only he knows which pole will do that. Sometimes the problem is physical - you can't push a longer pole to vertical; sometimes (often!) it's psychological - the vaulter is anxious that s/he'll get rejected.

In the end, it doesn't matter what the origin of the problem is; if a vaulter doesn't want to / can't go to the next pole, that's it.

5. Collapse Details

The 4.90 allows Sam to be very consistent by PV standards; I would guess that going to a sometimes-too-large pole would lose that consistency. It is not that he has not tried it, it is that it did not work for him. How come Mondo is not on a 5.30 pole -- it is too large for him....

6. Collapse Details

Over the last few years, as Mondo has grown from a boy to a man, I've been privy to quite a few conversations regarding Mondo's pole selection and it seems that there has always been an adjustment period whenever he moves up a pole. Perhaps cajun5150, who is much more in the know than I am, can weigh in.

On the other hand, the holy grail of the sport is global titles and as long as he can achieve goal that on the poles he's using why should he move up?

7. Collapse Details

Mondo, as we already know, is a freak, and blows through poles that he shouldn't be able to get on. I hope/expect for that to continue for at least 3 more years, when he will be well about 6.16.

Meanwhile, Sam is beating him on sheer technical merit.

8. Collapse Details

If I am not mistaken Sam won many more times last year....Head to Head vs Mondo However this year was a different story.....3-3 head up going into worlds and Sam won on misses (yep it counts) Mondo has the highest second place finish ever at WC now....

This competition is evolving fast between the top competitors and there will be no super long indoor and outdoor season for Mondo due to college. He will be fresher come the end of the year.

Sam is an amazing competitor (The Ice man) but the skinny kid from Louisiana will not simply sit back, next year may be something really special. 5.30 12.3 wasn’t enough stick for the young man (that is a scary thought).
    I can assure you that next year the bar will be raised (pun intended) he has advanced thru so many poles in such a short period of time its mind boggling. Heck he didn’t start his 20 step run up till February let him have a little time to get everything ironed out. This was a transition year for him in my humble opinion. Next year will be very interesting with his focus only on PV no school to deal with. It's hard to be super consistent when so many variables are changing all the time, but he had a fantastic year. He is a teenager still, at least until 11/10, he’s body is still changing......

JShapco2 he cleared 19’ 56 times .........Somebody needs to double check me on that I think I got em all.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cajun5150 View Post

JShapco2 he cleared 19í 56 times .........Somebody needs to double check me on that I think I got em all.
    It was 57, let that sink in......
    Last edited by cajun5150; 10-18-2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: error

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cajun5150 View Post
    Next year will be very interesting with his focus only on PV no school to deal with.
    ??? I thought he was staying in school.