Facts, Not Fiction

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    There really aren't that many guys who can clear that height consistently, even in good conditions. Perhaps the top half dozen do. For everyone else, it's hit and miss.
    I agree; I just think that given the neutral conditions and the fact that everyone is peaking for this, we can see 12 over 5.75. We'll see!

2. Collapse Details

I will go out on a limb and say 6.06 or more to win it.

3. Collapse Details

5.75 XXO is not real promising for some of the 6.06, 6.10, ... talk I have seen here. On the other hand, last year he had some great 19-foot clearances one after the other. [Well, there is that NCAA meet...]

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    5.75 XXO is not real promising for some of the 6.06, 6.10, ... talk I have seen here. On the other hand, last year he had some great 19-foot clearances one after the other. [Well, there is that NCAA meet...]
    As people pointed out in the PV thread, it looked like he was caught by surprise that he needed to keep vaulting after 5.70. I doubt this means much.

5. Collapse Details

Well that is a wrap! No Berlin heroics but a silver to one of the most consistent vaulters in history aint bad!

It does feel weird that Mondo didn't PR this year. However he did get a lot more consistent in the 5.90s and took a ton of attempts at 6 meter bars.

I want to do a little research project of how many 19' bars other people under 20 have cleared. This is different from U20.

I know Morgunov did it indoor,
    Tarasov
    Holtzeppe
    Karalis

Anyway to be continued! I know Cajun is working on a list of how many 19' clearances Mondo has had while being a teenager. Guess the 20' jumps will come when he is 20

6. Collapse Details

Both Mondo and his parents admitted his poles were probably too soft in the final. He was too strong for them now when he was in top shape. The pole he used for 5.97 and 6.02 was his stiffest available and it turned out to be on the soft side, despite being stiffer than what he used last year. They thought this pole would be enough to jump as high as WR.

So I guess he needs to finish growing and settle in.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackk View Post
    Both Mondo and his parents admitted his poles were probably too soft in the final. He was too strong for them now when he was in top shape. The pole he used for 5.97 and 6.02 was his stiffest available and it turned out to be on the soft side, despite being stiffer than what he used last year.
    Ironically, that is exactly what every PV coach wants to hear: your stiffest pole isn't stiff enough. All that means is that he's ready to jump way higher as he gets on bigger poles.

8. Collapse Details

First year he did not set a PB outdoors.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by highjumpfan View Post
    First year he did not set a PB outdoors.
    That's OK; he's still way ahead of the power curve!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Ironically, that is exactly what every PV coach wants to hear: your stiffest pole isn't stiff enough. All that means is that he's ready to jump way higher as he gets on bigger poles.
    Yeah they acknowledged that. I guess we will see some shiny new bigger poles this indoor season.