Facts, Not Fiction

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    It would surprise you to see Lisek go 6 there?
    It wouldn't shock me, but it would surprise me. He hasn't done it in his last 6 meets and he couldn't clear 5.93 in Zurich. Now that I see Powell's last post, I see that there may be reasons for his recent slump.

2. Collapse Details

It wasn't really a slump; before Zurich, he won 8 competitions in a row and had not lost since June.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details

True, but in the 5 meets before Zurich, his highest clearance was 5.81 and he did attempt unsuccessfully to go higher at each of those meets.

Still, I do appreciate your pointing out that he has had personal distractions that may have affected his performances. If he can indeed re-focus and regain his early-season form, he'll be a logical podium contender.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    True, but in the 5 meets before Zurich, his highest clearance was 5.81 and he did attempt unsuccessfully to go higher at each of those meets.
    But once you've won a competition, there's generally much less motivation to go higher. His 6.01 and 6.02 both came in competitions where he still had people to compete against at those heights.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    But once you've won a competition, there's generally much less motivation to go higher. His 6.01 and 6.02 both came in competitions where he still had people to compete against at those heights.
    Absolutely! And Lisek is such a good competitor, I'm sure he would have cleared the next bar if it meant winning the competition!

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Is Lavillenie injured or has Father Time caught up with him?
    Combo of both. He said after Zurich that he realized before this meet he needed to back up to 20 steps to be competitive (he had been on a shorter run most of the season since he was coming off injuries). Zurich was his first meet on the longer run.

He looked... ok... but not like he was going to jump a ton higher on that day.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Lav will be 33 in Doha... I belive Bubka was 33 when he won his last WC title. Time creeps up quickly.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TWalsh View Post
    In my opinion, Braz will be closer to 5.40 than 6.00 meters in Doha. Aside from his excellent season in 2016, Braz has been inconsistent and unreliable in World Championship meets.
    He almost made 6 meters at that one meet this year, but has generally been nowhere near that. By far the least consistent vaulter of the this year's active elites.

I would never pick him for a medal at Worlds. IDK if I would even pick him to make the final.

But he is someone that could also come out of nowhere and jump 6 meters, just depend on which version shows up that day.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    note that the 3 highest bars of Braz's life all came as part of his Rio gold.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    note that the 3 highest bars of Braz's life all came as part of his Rio gold.
    Actually only had one outright PR (didnít jump at 598) in Rio. With several 590 jumps to his credit outside of the two at the Olympics, heís a credible threat to jump high, but yeah, super inconsistent.