Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackk View Post
    Wasn't the most clean jumping from Mondo today, but a great result. Last attempt at 6.00 where he switched back to a softer pole was a decent one.
    So my first reaction was 'meh' till I realized a 19yo just jumped 19-4, and I'm not impressed. That's a pretty big compliment to him!!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    So my first reaction was 'meh' till I realized a 19yo just jumped 19-4, and I'm not impressed. That's a pretty big compliment to him!!
    Well it is only his 5th best result of his last 8 finals, so in a sense for that particular timeframe it is below the median.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    Well it is only his 5th best result of his last 8 finals, so in a sense for that particular timeframe it is below the median.
    What is important to me is that in almost every meet he is attempting 6 meters. That is a good place to be in for someone that is not near his potential. Hopefully next year that means he is consistently jumping 6 meters and getting ready for the WR.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jshapco2 View Post
    What is important to me is that in almost every meet he is attempting 6 meters. That is a good place to be in for someone that is not near his potential. Hopefully next year that means he is consistently jumping 6 meters and getting ready for the WR.
    On the whole, I agree with you.

However, I’d like to remind people of a young man who most everyone believed was the next big thing, Tommy Skipper. He got stuck at 5.80 and never progressed. He would clear 5.50 by 50cm and then only cleared 5.80 once in a competition. Eventually a series of injuries and apparent psychological issues ended his career. Nothing is guaranteed.

Mondo’s best day may have been last summer. I don’t think that will be the case, but who knows?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    However, I’d like to remind people of a young man who most everyone believed was the next big thing, Tommy Skipper. ?
    I find very little similarity between Skipper and Mondo. As you say, TS stalled and Mondo has been on a steady (since what, 4 years old?!) ascendant arc. TS's case has very little to tell us about Mondo (not that Mondo is 'destined' to eclipse Bobka as the GOAT - it just seems that way. )

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I find very little similarity between Skipper and Mondo. As you say, TS stalled and Mondo has been on a steady (since what, 4 years old?!) ascendant arc. TS's case has very little to tell us about Mondo (not that Mondo is 'destined' to eclipse Bobka as the GOAT - it just seems that way. )
    I just offer that up as a historical warning. TS was on a steady arc through his freshman year of college also. TS didn’t peak out until his sophomore year. Also, Mondo has not PRd this year.

I still think he will have the WR by the end of 2020.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I just offer that up as a historical warning. TS was on a steady arc through his freshman year of college also. TS didn’t peak out until his sophomore year. ....
    Skipper (5.56 in HS) PRed as a frosh (5.75), junior (5.79) and senior (5.80) at Oregon.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Skipper (5.56 in HS) PRed as a frosh (5.75), junior (5.79) and senior (5.80) at Oregon.
    So Skipper improved is PR by 24cm in the 4 years following high school? My guess is that it would exceed Mondo's wildest dreams if he improved his PR by 24cm any time before he retires.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    My guess is that it would exceed Mondo's wildest dreams if he improved his PR by 24cm any time before he retires.
    I'd guess that's kinda what he's expecting in the next 8 years.

10. Collapse Details

I just offer that up as a historical warning. TS was on a steady arc through his freshman year of college also. TS didnít peak out until his sophomore year. Also, Mondo has not PRd this year.

I still think he will have the WR by the end of 2020.
    He PRed indoors 5.92.....