Facts, Not Fiction

 

Thread: NBC Gold Survey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. Collapse Details
    NBC Gold Survey
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,903
    Just completed one they sent me as a subscriber.
    My main input was just to have MORE meets and separate feeds for field events.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,128
    Took it as well. I was very happy with my first year and consider it the best $59 I spent all year.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A Temperate Island
    Posts
    7,578
    I am disappointed that each year we have seen a reduction in coverage, and I am very worried about whether or not field event prelims will be available for the Olympics this summer.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,423
    I would think that the bigger event (OG vs WC) will make it more likely. However, camera crews will be in heavy demand.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A Temperate Island
    Posts
    7,578
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I would think that the bigger event (OG vs WC) will make it more likely. However, camera crews will be in heavy demand.

    The camera crews were there at Worlds. That wasn't the issue.

    No one will tell me what the issue was.

    IAAF charging too much for the rights fee? It did not appear that any other countries had a dedicated stream for field event prelims either.

    Belief that track fans are too spoiled, and that dedicated field event prelims are bad for the sport?

    NBC being cheap and not wanting to spend the money?

    The only response I got on Twitter was gaslighting about the field event streams for the finals, they stopped responding when I pointed out that we had streams for the prelims in the past.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    N38 40, W 121 52
    Posts
    4,545
    I took it yesterday, asked (yet again) for a dedicated, races-only stream, as well as streams for field-event prelims in multi-day events. These things depend on the "host broadcaster", I believe, not NBC. The IAAF (WA) and Diamond League should be contacted and asked to demand this coverage of the host broadcasters.

    For next year's Olympics, we should find out who is the "host broadcaster" and everyone who cares should contact them.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    I believe that at the Olympics, NBC has some of its own cameras and is not entirely dependent on the host broadcaster.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,433
    "NBC being cheap and not wanting to spend the money?"

    There you go...

    I wonder how many subscribers they actually get....it can't be that many...a few thousand...
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A Temperate Island
    Posts
    7,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    I took it yesterday, asked (yet again) for a dedicated, races-only stream, as well as streams for field-event prelims in multi-day events. These things depend on the "host broadcaster", I believe, not NBC. The IAAF (WA) and Diamond League should be contacted and asked to demand this coverage of the host broadcasters.

    For next year's Olympics, we should find out who is the "host broadcaster" and everyone who cares should contact them.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    Those streams exist for Diamond League meets/World Champs. IAAF is controlling that. Whether or not NBC had the option to stream them or not, I do not know. But the cameras are there, the technology is there, AND WE HAD THAT STREAM ON GOLD IN THE PAST.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    N38 40, W 121 52
    Posts
    4,545
    Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Those streams exist for Diamond League meets/World Champs. IAAF is controlling that. Whether or not NBC had the option to stream them or not, I do not know. But the cameras are there, the technology is there, AND WE HAD THAT STREAM ON GOLD IN THE PAST.
    In my experience, there has never been a races-only stream for any Diamond League meet. The 2016 Olympics and 2017 Worlds did. I'm not sure whether there were streams for field quallies in 2017, as I was there.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •