Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 205
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,127
    Quote Originally Posted by trackk View Post
    Yeah they acknowledged that. I guess we will see some shiny new bigger poles this indoor season.
    He's going to need some decompression time after this long season, so he may not be on a BIG stick till . . . Tex R?
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    That sounds good to me. This young man has a bright future. And he is competing in an event which is very supportive. I am excited to watch him develop!
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by trackk View Post
    Both Mondo and his parents admitted his poles were probably too soft in the final. He was too strong for them now when he was in top shape. The pole he used for 5.97 and 6.02 was his stiffest available and it turned out to be on the soft side, despite being stiffer than what he used last year. They thought this pole would be enough to jump as high as WR.So I guess he needs to finish growing and settle in.
    Other option is to lower his grip (and improve his technique) like Sam Kendricks. Looked like Mondo has put on 10 lbs. this year. Starting to look like his dad did when vaulting.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    Other option is to lower his grip (and improve his technique)
    That may eventually happen, but not now while he's still moving up poles. Plus his technique, esp. for his age, is superb.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    That may eventually happen, but not now while he's still moving up poles. Plus his technique, esp. for his age, is superb.
    Who would you say has better technique than Duplantis right now? Kendrick?
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,485
    Mondo, Kendrick, and Lisek (you could add others here as well) all have different technique that fits their physical capabilities. One interesting aspect of Mondo's vaulting is that he will try to put in parts of what others do to see how it works for him. That is likely to mean is technique will continue to evolve, in part because his body is. Is it possible for Mondo to clear as much above his grip as Kendrick does, probably not.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,127
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Mondo, Kendrick, and Lisek (you could add others here as well) all have different technique that fits their physical capabilities. One interesting aspect of Mondo's vaulting is that he will try to put in parts of what others do to see how it works for him. That is likely to mean is technique will continue to evolve, in part because his body is. Is it possible for Mondo to clear as much above his grip as Kendrick does, probably not.
    Concur. Kendrick is getting the most out of what he has, so that, de facto, would have to mean he's got the best technique. I would say that he and Bubka are as good as it gets. Mondo will be the WR-holder, sooner than later.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Concur. Kendrick is getting the most out of what he has, so that, de facto, would have to mean he's got the best technique. I would say that he and Bubka are as good as it gets. Mondo will be the WR-holder, sooner than later.
    Sam is probably the most efficient and technically sound vaulter in history. He uses a 4.90 pole. For reference most vaulters use that size pole to clear anywhere from 16' to max 18' ..... sam cleared 19'11"

    He has the world record for push off by a lot, but more than that his take off is in the same spot almost every single time and his kinesthetic awareness over the bar is the best I have ever seen. He brings his thumbs in, and points his toes up, allowing him to round over the bar.

    He is also probably the most consistent and mentally strong vaulter ever as well. Also the post 2000 outdoor world record holder.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A Temperate Island
    Posts
    7,599
    If Mondo could maximize his abilities and consistency the way Sam does, he would be jumping like 6.10-6.30 every meet.

    That's not a knock on Mondo, Sam is just THAT good. I don't know if any vaulter has ever achieved their maximum potential the way he has.

    On paper, Sam should not be competitive with these guys. But because he performs at like 95-99.999% of his maximum ability on nearly every jump, he is one of the most consistent vaulters ever which has translated into being one of the most successful.

    Sam, Mondo, and Piotr are all built sooooo differently, they each have to use a slightly different technique to achieve their own maximum potential.

    Sam is more consistent than Mondo, in large part, because he is done maturing physically, and has many years of doing the same thing at the same speed with the same poles, over and over again.

    Mondo is still growing and maturing and getting stronger and faster, which means he keeps having to change poles and the exact peak position of each vault is much harder to predict.

    I think the fact that he made is through this year healthy and with a World Champs medal says a lot about what solid training and life plans he has going on.

    Can't wait to see what comes next for him!

    I think having all these guys hovering around the 6 meter mark week after week makes everything much more exciting than if one vaulter was completely dominating
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Why doesn't Kendricks go to a longer pole, even if only slightly larger?
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •