Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    she really doesn't care much about or understand much about the culture of the sport, and is writing just to put forth her agenda.
    Her chief disqualification as a legitimate journalist is her use of "ICYMI" to begin a paragraph. If she can't be bothered to write out "in case you missed it" (there you go - you may cut and paste that, lazy writers), I can't be bothered to accept her logic (of which there is a small amount).
    On-line posts, sure. A journalistic article; I think not.

The inequality of 'respect and pay' isn't a judgement that's dispassionately obvious. The men generate much more revenue, and therefore are compensated differently. [I love that T&F has near-equity]. The respect is earned and all the Neanderthal men who don't see that the USA women play a much more 'beautiful' game than the USA men, don't get any respect for their opinion.
    Last edited by Atticus; 06-15-2019 at 03:43 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    As an American sports fan and not one who objects to celebrations of all kinds in the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc, I found the celebrations by the US woman's soccer team out of place and lacking a bit of self awareness. It was a bad look.
    A very bad look! Now you will likely have the rest of the world rooting against you...and you gained nothing from your celebrations.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    A very bad look! Now you will likely have the rest of the world rooting against you...and you gained nothing from your celebrations.
    I didn't think that gaining something was one of the reasons players celebrate.

4. Collapse Details

I have no problem with plenty of scoring or plenty of celebrating.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Interesting story on women's soccer in England almost 50 years ago....

It’s just before kick-off on a blazing August day in 1971.

Trudy and her mostly teenage team-mates are preparing to walk out in front of 90,000 boisterous fans in Mexico City’s packed, towering stadium for a crucial World Cup match.

Back home, where women's football is just emerging from a 50-year ban, the girls are used to playing in parks for a handful of spectators. So this is unlike anything they have experienced in England.

The English team’s first game was against Argentina. The Mexican papers made England the favourites, but the Argentines needed to win to stay in the tournament.

Around 25,000 people turned up to watch – far fewer than the steep Azteca stands could hold, but still far more than the players had ever walked out in front of before. The noise, even in a quarter-full stadium, was daunting.

“To be playing before one man and his dog, and then you walk out to THAT… It did hit you,” says Janice Emms, who had quit her job as a bank clerk in Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, to go on the trip. (If the surname is familiar, her daughter Gail won an Olympic badminton silver medal in 2004.)

“You couldn’t help but get nervous because you’d never experienced anything like it," Janice adds. "You felt tiny. The pitch was huge as well. We weren’t used to it.”

Argentina took the lead on seven minutes but England equalised six minutes later through 15-year-old forward Paula Rayner.

The biggest shock was how physical their opponents were. “They were animals,” remembers Janice.

Trudy McCaffery recalls: “They were going to win at all costs, and it didn’t matter if you got in the way. They were quite prepared to run over you rather than run around you.

“Had we been playing more on that international circuit, perhaps we would have been playing the same way. Whether that would have been a good thing, I don’t know.”

Captain Carol Wilson, 19, injured her foot but played on. Chain-smoking and chain-swearing Harry Batt prowled the touchline. In the dugout was his wife June, who helped run the team. Their 10-year-old son Keith was the mascot.

“It was a battlefield,” Keith remembers. “I remember mum saying, ‘Pull the girls off. Stop the game because it’s out of control.’”

Harry didn’t take her advice and things got worse when Janice was sent off. She says it was because she left the pitch without permission so she could remove her shinpads. She wasn’t used to wearing them, and was struggling in the heat.

“The ref came over to me and he went ballistic, and he sent me off. Harry Batt was going bananas.” She remembers being let back on shortly afterwards, however, as a result of their appeals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/LN...60719061655-sa
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-16-2019 at 09:54 PM.

6. Collapse Details

To be clear, I am not a Nigeria fan, and am a France fan, but I wouldn't want to be a defender or goalie in this world cup. What a bunch of crap.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by schigh View Post
    To be clear, I am not a Nigeria fan, and am a France fan, but I wouldn't want to be a defender or goalie in this world cup. What a bunch of crap.
    My sentiments exactly.
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details

New FIFA rules....

Penalties

The laws have changed concerning what goalkeepers can do for penalties.

The penalty kick cannot be taken while the goalkeeper is touching the woodwork or nets - or if the net or posts are still moving after being touched.

The goalkeeper must have one of his feet partly on the goalline (or above it if jumping) when the kick is taken. He cannot stand behind or in front of the line.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48382254

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    New FIFA rules....

Penalties

The laws have changed concerning what goalkeepers can do for penalties.

The penalty kick cannot be taken while the goalkeeper is touching the woodwork or nets - or if the net or posts are still moving after being touched.

The goalkeeper must have one of his feet partly on the goalline (or above it if jumping) when the kick is taken. He cannot stand behind or in front of the line.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48382254
    The Nigerian goalie had her heel barely lifted (less that an inch from the view they showed us} above the ground on the goal line.
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

10. Collapse Details

Lucy Ward

Former Leeds United Ladies striker on BBC Four

The thing about VAR is you are not going to get away with that. She stepped away from the line and the rules are you have to stay on the line.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/47180516/page/2