Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

They also compete as four countries in the Commonwealth Games, including the track & field competition.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    It goes way back....until 2012 Britain never had a men's Olympic soccer team....they didn't want to give FIFA any ideas....which isn't all that keen of the 4 sides in men's soccer...

Cricket is also England though Wales is part of it...unlike Scotland which has their own side.... as does netball....field Hockey....

Until 1988 the home countries also competed separately in World Cross Country...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-14-2019 at 11:58 PM.

3. Collapse Details

FIFA could certainly allow unlimited substitutions in the 2nd half when the lead is five goals or more. It should also cap how many goals in a game count in the goal differential calculation.

And while I think whoever is on the field should play 100%, the coach should have told the players to tone done the celebrations.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Until 1988 the home countries also competed separately in World Cross Country...
    I think Ethiopia in the early 80s was the first team in the senior men's race that would have beaten the score of the first 6 UK finishers.

5. Collapse Details

Cricket is also England though Wales is part of it...unlike Scotland which has their own side
    Cricket is complicated by the fact that Scotland does not have Test status which means that a very good Scottish player may switch to England.

Then you have Rugby Union where there is England, Wales, Scotland and a united Ireland team.

I think Rugby League has separate teams for their World Cup but a Great Britain team for things like a 3 match series against Australia.

One of my favourite Commonwealth Games races was the 2002 men's 4x400 in Manchester where England beat Wales by 0.01s.

6. Collapse Details

It goes way back....until 2012 Britain never had a men's Olympic soccer team....they didn't want to give FIFA any ideas....which isn't all that keen of the 4 sides in men's soccer...
    The UK did have a team up until about 1960 when they pretty much gave up trying to field amateurs against the state-supported 'amateurs' of the Eastern Bloc. The 2012 team was England and Wales only as Scotland and Northern Ireland refused to get involved.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by HopStepJump View Post
    Oh, come on. Scoring the 7th, 8th, ... 13th goal against a clearly broken team is not worthy of an orchestrated team celebration at any level. Act like you've been there.
    Here's someone who disagrees:

https://www.shape.com/fitness/trends...on-controversy

Headline: Why the Controversy Over the U.S. Women's Soccer Team's Winning Celebration Is Total BS

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Here's someone who disagrees:

https://www.shape.com/fitness/trends...on-controversy

Headline: Why the Controversy Over the U.S. Women's Soccer Team's Winning Celebration Is Total BS
    Well the first sentence says it all when the author writes, "I'm not a huge soccer fan..." So she really doesn't care much about or understand much about the culture of the sport, and is writing just to put forth her agenda. Oh, spare me.

9. Collapse Details

As an American sports fan and not one who objects to celebrations of all kinds in the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc, I found the celebrations by the US woman's soccer team out of place and lacking a bit of self awareness. It was a bad look.

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Shape Magazine....right....and knows zero about soccer...