Facts, Not Fiction

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    As we know with Soccer the reverse is true. Men draw WAY more so they should get paid WAY more. Fighting that is silly nonsense.
    If T&F were not as integrated as it is, do you suppose women would draw as men do? No. Yet T&F prize money is equitable.

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    If T&F were not as integrated as it is, do you suppose women would draw as men do? No. Yet T&F prize money is equitable.
    Honestly speaking, I personally feel that women's athletics is just as entertaining and "drawing" as men's at the highest level, integrated or not. A lot of posters said pretty much the same and I remember that one (liuxuan_rol) even once claimed that he only cares about women's contests, so I'm not the only one.

Bottom line is that the attraction disparity seems to be far greater in soccer than in athletics that there's very little comparison to be made, and it's perhaps not a sexist or a political thing, because even female casual fans watch a lot more men's football than women's, at least from my own experience...

Another example would be combat sports. It's not unusual nowadays to see male and female fighers fighting on the same card, so the integration is there; but for some reason, in the UFC the viewership are much more attrated to female fighters than in boxing, and Ronda Rousey at the highest of her hype was the highest paid athlete, male of female. It would be unthinkable for female boxers.

4. Collapse Details

The fault is mine but based on what I wrote...and what you wrote...I can't tell what point you're trying to make. Are you saying TnF shouldn't be equitable...or should...tennis, soccer...sorry dude. ?
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

5. Collapse Details

Men's WC has a 61 yr head start over women's WC. That's more than twice as long as women's WC is in existence.

It's not a big surprise that there is a huge gap in spectator appeal. People who are accustomed to seeing men's soccer tend to compare women's game to men's game, consciously or otherwise. That's a losing proposition. Once we have a generation of people who see women's game as it is, things will change.

6. Collapse Details

If T&F were not as integrated as it is, do you suppose women would draw as men do? No.
    Why ask a question if you're not going to let us answer? Is it because you don't want to hear honest answers? You should have just made a statement, wrong as it may be, because it's obvious to me that if women's track and field were a stand-alone sport it would do just as well as men's track and field. It would be similar to the ATP vs the WTA.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    Men's WC has a 61 yr head start over women's WC. That's more than twice as long as women's WC is in existence.

It's not a big surprise that there is a huge gap in spectator appeal. People who are accustomed to seeing men's soccer tend to compare women's game to men's game, consciously or otherwise. That's a losing proposition. Once we have a generation of people who see women's game as it is, things will change.
    Good point! I even think that the women's game should develop more independently of the men's game in term of tactics. Just one example: imo crosses should perhaps be discouraged more by coaches of women's teams. When a male winger is cornered in a disadvantaged position and has to whip in a cross awkwardly, he still has a fair chance to get a fast, curving ball into a dangerous area, and there might still be a center forward who could somehow squeeze it in using his physicality. (Look at this goal by van Nistelrooy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTRSXbALpCE) But in women's football, we see too many "open" crosses go horribly awry, let alone those challenged ones.

Women's basketball go by all right by playing in their own way, I see no reason why women's football must be played like an imitation of men's.

8. Collapse Details

Not sure the answer for the general public but there is a ongoing experiment in segregation of the sexes in TnF and that is in the NCAA championships. What are attendance and viewing draws?

For me, I watch both.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Why ask a question if you're not going to let us answer? Is it because you don't want to hear honest answers? You should have just made a statement, wrong as it may be, because it's obvious to me that if women's track and field were a stand-alone sport it would do just as well as men's track and field. It would be similar to the ATP vs the WTA.
    It was rhetorical; I love that the world of T&F is so integrated now that no one seems to recall how (not too long ago) poorly wT&F was treated, even here with Title IX. gh alluded to this above in response to Powell.

Quote Originally Posted by Powell
    There are some major differences, though. I believe there's no major difference in interest between men's and women's events in T&F. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    you've obviously not spent much time on these shores.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    ATP Tour attracts more TV viewers and gives more prize money than the WTA Tour. US is an exception, because we haven't had a US man winning a major title since Roddick in 2003. (We didn't even have a semifinalist of any Slam between Roddick in 2009 and Querry in 2017.)

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tenni...s-between-pay/