Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bhall
    The U.S. has many great players but some gaps in the roster as well.
    US goaltending may be a bit less stellar than before, but other than that, I think the team is as solid as it ever was. The midfield of Horan, Mewis and Lavelle may be the best ever. Their depth is also high quality.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    You may think it's silly, but it's been my observation at track meets that a lot of fans like to do it. And if it adds to fans' enjoyment of the experience of being at a track meet, I'd say it's a good thing.
    I mostly just find it distracting in the middle of the game.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bhall View Post
    I'm not sure you needed to celebrate after the 6th.
    I'm positive. You just scored a goal on the sport's biggest stage - for your country. If you're not celebrating that, after all the work you've done for years, you missed the point of sport. It has nothing to do with 'sportsmanship' (which I still esteem greatly); it's about celebrating the sport you have given so much to.

4. Collapse Details

I don't know how it works but someone presumably knowledgeable tells me score differential can be useful down the road.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I don't know how it works but someone presumably knowledgeable tells me score differential can be useful down the road.
    It's one of the tie-breakers in group stage. That said, it's stupid to reward anything more than a 3-goal differential (and a clean sheet).

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I'm positive. You just scored a goal on the sport's biggest stage - for your country. If you're not celebrating that, after all the work you've done for years, you missed the point of sport. It has nothing to do with 'sportsmanship' (which I still esteem greatly); it's about celebrating the sport you have given so much to.
    Seriously? Hasn't the US been one of the top nations for years in women's soccer? Did they not beat Thailand 9-0 the last time they played? Who needs to celebrate like that after 5-6 goals? Beat Sweden by 5 goals and they can celebrate.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    Seriously? Hasn't the US been one of the top nations for years in women's soccer? Did they not beat Thailand 9-0 the last time they played? Who needs to celebrate like that after 5-6 goals? Beat Sweden by 5 goals and they can celebrate.
    I can understand the celebrations by players who have never scored a World Cup goal before, as that is a major milestone for their career, but after being up 6-0 or more it looks silly when done by those who've scored multiple times in prior World Cups.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 06-13-2019 at 11:26 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    In the first round, the teams get 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 for a loss, and the points at the end of the first round (3 games by each team) determine who advances to the next round.

Where teams are tied on points, goal differential is used as the first tiebreaker. 16 teams out of the 24 in the tournament will advance, so the US team is not in any realistic danger of needing a tiebreaker to advance, however they may need a tiebreaker to decide who is the #1 team of their group, which affects the seeding for the next round.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    It's the world Cup - the highest level. If you can't celebrate ANY goal scored there, there really is something wrong. Not playing your best at this level is a TERRIBLE idea, in many ways.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    It's the world Cup - the highest level. If you can't celebrate ANY goal scored there, there really is something wrong. Not playing your best at this level is a TERRIBLE idea, in many ways.
    Oh, come on. Scoring the 7th, 8th, ... 13th goal against a clearly broken team is not worthy of an orchestrated team celebration at any level. Act like you've been there.