Facts, Not Fiction

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

What's preposterous to me is the Female Tennis players wanting equal money, when they only play 2 out of 3 sets versus the Men's 3/5.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    What's preposterous to me is the Female Tennis players wanting equal money, when they only play 2 out of 3 sets versus the Men's 3/5.
    Tennis is perhaps of all professional sports with the smallest disparity of revenue generated by male versus female players...so they have a point...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I watched the Gold Cup in the evening after the women's Final; it was boring by comparison. Why do Corners in the Women's game seem more interesting than in the Men's despite the fact that it is much easier for the guys to put the ball in to the middle of the action.
    I think that men's teams often just play a lofted ball into the 6 yard box almost every time just because they can despite the fact that it has a fairly low success rate in terms of actual goals. Women realise that their reduced power often rules this out as an option so they have realised that they need to try something different.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    I think that men's teams often just play a lofted ball into the 6 yard box almost every time just because they can despite the fact that it has a fairly low success rate in terms of actual goals. Women realise that their reduced power often rules this out as an option so they have realised that they need to try something different.
    ??!!
    If we're talking about corners (which we were), EVERY pro woman can put it completely across the 18y-box.

5. Collapse Details

I wonder if the men will drop to 2 out of 3 eventually as they often do in non-grand slam matches. The 5-set/ 5/hour matches create the occasion epic battle but make for bad television generally.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    That's if you're only looking at TV revenue. But there's also ticket sales, with the men's World Cup selling more tickets at higher prices, and sponsors who pay for ads on the side of the fields and other advertising rights.
    That info is harder to get but the bottom line is that the men bring in much more revenue but even if you base it on revenue, the women deserve a big raise.

7. Collapse Details

Is it preposterous that sprinters demand the the equal money for their 10 sec of work as distance runners do for their 13 min of work?

8. Collapse Details

I think dukehjsteve was just being facetious.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by xw View Post
    Tennis is perhaps of all professional sports with the smallest disparity of revenue generated by male versus female players...so they have a point...
    I once saw Tracy Austin get into an argument with John McEnroe on this topic, with McEnroe making the 5 sets to 3 sets argument for men being paid more. Austin countered that the number of sets or men's greater power and athleticism had nothing to do with who should get paid more. She said it's all about tangible, bankable entertainment value, and based on that metric (recent TV ratings and attendance at Grand Slam events), women should get paid more than men, and I thought she had a good point.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 07-11-2019 at 12:33 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I once saw Tracy Austin get into an argument with John McEnroe on this topic, with McEnroe making the 5 sets to 3 sets argument for men being paid more. Austin countered that the number of sets or men's greater power and athleticism had nothing to do with who should get paid more. She said it's all about tangible, bankable entertainment value, and based on that metric (recent TV ratings and attendance at Grand Slam events), women should get paid more than men, and I thought she had a good point.
    Was just thinking of this while mowing the lawn. To me that should be the only metric. Even if the women are playing less, if they're drawing more fans/more butts in the seats...then they make more. Seems reasonable.

As we know with Soccer the reverse is true. Men draw WAY more so they should get paid WAY more. Fighting that is silly nonsense.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!