Facts, Not Fiction

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    This exactly. Think about how huge Olympic gymnastics is, or even bobsledding...everyone I know is glued to it. But after the Olympics...crickets...
    I actually think gymnastics has lost a lost of its luster. It may be popular in the US, because it now wins a lot of medals, but internationally, it's nothing like it was in Nadia Comaneci's days. The same goes for figure skating.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    About 71% of female soccer players worldwide are Americans....not surprising at all....

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Meanwhile....along with moronic columnists....politicians are displaying their ignorance....

More than 50 members of Congress wrote to U.S. Soccer last week demanding to know why, despite all their success, players on the U.S. womenís team are still receiving inferior wages, working conditions and investment.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-m...fb595fcef07?gm

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    This exactly. Think about how huge Olympic gymnastics is, or even bobsledding...everyone I know is glued to it. But after the Olympics...crickets...
    Figure skating is ginormous during an Olympic year and then for about a year following the OG there are numerous special events that audiences love to watch where their favorite OG medalists perform. Its big television dollars.. American audiences love it.

5. Collapse Details

But with teams sports - especially identical sports like soccer and basketball - it's too much of a difference in overall speed, athleticism, movement, power...and it leaves me feeling "meh".
    If I want to enjoy speed athleticism, movement and power, I'd rather watch 100m sprint or shot put. And I enjoy women's sprint as much as men's. When I watch ball games, I enjoy their ball skills. I could enjoy the angles and spins women create off their tennis rackets, even though they don't hit as hard as men. And when I watch team sports, I enjoy how players work in tandem.

I cannot think of a single sport that I enjoy only men's or women's version. Soccer is soccer and basketball is basketball. But to each his own.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I actually think gymnastics has lost a lost of its luster. It may be popular in the US, because it now wins a lot of medals, but internationally, it's nothing like it was in Nadia Comaneci's days. The same goes for figure skating.
    Actually, it's the exact opposite in figure skating. It has lost luster in US, but it is thriving elsewhere, especially in East Asia (South Korea and Japan). Just look at how many billboard ads at figure skating events are either Japanese or Korean companies.

Figure skating popularity is usually associated with how well one's country is doing in ladies singles. Our men and dance teams have been doing well in recent years, but we have had a grand total of one global medalist in ladies (Wanger in 2016) in the last 13 years. Hopefully that will change with Alisa Liu.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    If I want to enjoy speed athleticism, movement and power, I'd rather watch 100m sprint or shot put. And I enjoy women's sprint as much as men's. When I watch ball games, I enjoy their ball skills. I could enjoy the angles and spins women create off their tennis rackets, even though they don't hit as hard as men. And when I watch team sports, I enjoy how players work in tandem.

I cannot think of a single sport that I enjoy only men's or women's version. Soccer is soccer and basketball is basketball. But to each his own.
    Yeah...I did mention that I love INDIVIDUAL women's sports - TnF, powerlifting, weightlifting, crossfit...things like that. But it's jarring to me to go from male team sports to female. You're right, to each his own.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

8. Collapse Details

A good article in the Wall Street Journal today which is behind a pay wall. It said that the audience for the menís World Cup was 3.6 billion and for the women was 1.0 billion. The 32 menís teams got $400 million and 24 women teams got $30 million. The proposal is to double the women next time to $60m while increasing the men to $440m.

The television rights of both are sold as a package so the revenue split must be based on audience or some other measure. If based on audience, the women should get $112m instead of $30m.

9. Collapse Details

I watched the Gold Cup in the evening after the women's Final; it was boring by comparison. Why do Corners in the Women's game seem more interesting than in the Men's despite the fact that it is much easier for the guys to put the ball in to the middle of the action.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    The television rights of both are sold as a package so the revenue split must be based on audience or some other measure. If based on audience, the women should get $112m instead of $30m.
    That's if you're only looking at TV revenue. But there's also ticket sales, with the men's World Cup selling more tickets at higher prices, and sponsors who pay for ads on the side of the fields and other advertising rights.