Facts, Not Fiction

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    It seems to me that I am the type of sports fan that the women's soccer team wants to enlist. I dabble in a lot of sports, but cherry pick them. Golf, but mostly just Sundays, and certainly with Tiger. NHRA finals, baseball/softball/basketball/football playoffs (college and pro). Pretty much what TV ratings say the average viewer watches. (T&F is the exception: every minute of every feed on NBC Gold.)

So my take on soccer:
    I have watched Premiere League soccer most weekends the last few years. The passing accuracy is remarkable as sides like Man City work the ball down the field, from one sideline to the other. Great goals involve late passes to outflank defenses. When I was watching the women's games, I was counting out loud: one, two, turnover, one, two, turnover, one, turnover, even when the objective was to run clock. When the ball was played into an open area, the attacks were solo, apparently because there was no faith in the ability to complete a pass to the weak side.

If that is my impression from watching high level matches, why would I watch any women's soccer for the next four years?
    That's a good analysis....the top men's game is just stunning in its perfection sometime...that why I thought the Usain Bolt tryout would be hopeless.... and what little I watched of the World Cup I saw this time confirms what you wrote.

My friends in England who watched the England-U.S. game weren't terribly impressed...especially after all the pregame hoopla...

2. Collapse Details

It's not a male/female thing. In T&F, I'm just as entertained by WPV as MPV, even with a meter difference, or W1500 vs M1500.

I like softball. At the NCAA level the top teams make one error every 2 or 3 games. That's the issue. In the recent WWC, if I mentally chalk up as an "error" a pass intended for a teammate that ends up in the other team's possession, the error rate creates a tough sell.

3. Collapse Details

I like the Oregon women's basketball ....I have a season ticket....it's fun to watch and very cheap...about $4 a game.....

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    good piece on the need to grow women's soccer in the U.S. at the pro level.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/a...e-14079863.php

5. Collapse Details

Haven't they tried that about half a dozen times already..... and it never succeeds.... even throwing piles of money probably wouldn't do much....if few watch....the Women's World Cup is like the Olympics...Americans like a couple weeks of team USA winning then all completely forgotten....

There really is not much of a market for women's professional sports ....women's pro basketball barely gets by....women's golf has little exposure...

A lot of columns out this week about equal pay etc....by people who don't know much about what they are talking about.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-09-2019 at 04:49 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    I enjoyed it immensely.
    Ditto here.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Haven't they tried that about half a dozen times already..... and it never succeeds.... even throwing piles of money probably wouldn't do much....if few watch....the Women's World Cup is like the Olympics...Americans like a couple weeks of team USA winning then all completely forgotten....

There really is not much of a market for women's professional sports ....women's pro basketball barely gets by....women's golf has little exposure...

A lot of columns out this week about equal pay etc....by people who don't know much about what they are talking about.
    Well said. No question that the US Women's team is far more successful than the Men's team and more entertaining to watch.

But, as you pointed out, compensation begins with the size of the market. I did a cursory google search, so my numbers might be a little off, but according to Forbes (https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza.../#67d922bd6da4) ...

"The men's World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams."

The difference between $6 billion and $131 million is quite large. Worldwide, Men's soccer draws more spectators and generates more revenue. That is also true in the US. According to Wikipedia, the average MLS attendance in 2016 was 21,692 among the 20 teams, while the average NWSL in 2018 was 6,024 among nine teams.

That doesn't mean the women don't work as hard, sacrifice as much, and deliver as professional a product as the men do. It means they simply have a smaller pot of revenue to work from.

8. Collapse Details

The men's game is huge....when the England men's team made the quarterfinals in Russia last year tickets were impossible to get and selling for hundreds of dollars...Meanwhile....they were practically giving tickets away for the England women's quarter and it only a quick trip across the channel...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    you've obviously not spent much time on these shores.
    Obviously I was talking worldwide, not US. In any case, I believe there's much more difference in fan interest between T&F events (think 100 vs HT) than between men's and women's events on the whole.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post

This exactly. Think about how huge Olympic gymnastics is, or even bobsledding...everyone I know is glued to it. But after the Olympics...crickets...
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!