Facts, Not Fiction

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Here is an article on how the rest of the world is catching up with the US.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ching-the-u-s/

US has the best team, but it's not like our b-ball team (which has won six straight Olympic gold medals and five of the last six World Cups since 1996). Kara Lawson says our national team is the toughest team to beat in all sports. Our soccer team is far from that kind of dominance.

https://www.usab.com/womens/national-team/history.aspx

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    You don't have to dismiss WSoccer to find the men's game more entertaining, unless you are an American, of course.
    With the exception of the world's very best mTeams (Brazil, Germany, and a few others), the wUSA team is much more fun to watch. The men try to win more with speed and muscle than to do it with intelligence, creativity and technical ability. When the Dutch played 'Total Soccer" and the Bralians played the 'Beautiful Game', they were as entertaining as the wUSA, who do both. Did you see how many times the USA dispossessed an opponent with just sheer hustle? That's great soccer.

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Fun to watch is relative.... as you wouldn't even be on this message board if you thought otherwise...

The other thing the women have going for them is there is no major sport that takes the best players from it....

Meanwhile football just swallows money, scholarships, our best male athletes like some giant black hole...destroying men's sports left and right.....and for what? No one else even plays the game....and leaving brain dead athletes in its wake....

Football is like that classic Star Trek episode The Doomsday Machine....swallowing everything in its path and spitting it out...

Imagine the kind of men's soccer team the U.S. could really put together.....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-08-2019 at 06:52 PM.

4. Collapse Details

"For USWNT to stay atop women's soccer, here's what must happen."

https://sports.yahoo.com/for-uswnt-t...024113281.html

Basically, the article says NWSL needs more investment to stay competitive with the top European leagues.

5. Collapse Details

I have to say that the yahoo article reminded me of the joke about the economist on a desert island saying “assume we have a can opener.” Saying “find money to invest in the league” is not exactly a brilliant analysis.

We have a NWSL team here in NJ owned by our governor and the only press it has gotten all year is when the players complained about working conditions. They do not even publish standings or schedule in the newspaper and I do not think any of the games are on cable.

We have a NJ soccer stadium with about 20k capacity for the MLS team but the NWSL team plays at Rutgers whose soccer field I think has a capacity of maybe 5K.

Bottom line is that the NWSL is run like a minor league.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    Bottom line is that the NWSL is run like a minor league.
    And it will stay that way until more WOMEN become fans and go to games. Men won't pay for wSoccer unless the women make it as big a deal as the men do the men's. It's a vicious circle. And I can't see America EVER (50 years) embracing soccer when we already have other high-scoring pro sports to compete with it, We're way too ADD.

But . . . at the highest level, esp. THIS WCC team, needs to be compensated equally with the men, even if that means taking $$ from the men. The players on a winning men's WCup team get $1M+ apiece. The USWNT will each get $100K. And yes, the revenue from the men's side dwarfs the women's side, but if the IAAF can do it, so can FIFA.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The players on a winning men's WCup team get $1M+ apiece. The USWNT will each get $100K. And yes, the revenue from the men's side dwarfs the women's side, but if the IAAF can do it, so can FIFA.
    There are some major differences, though. I believe there's no major difference in interest between men's and women's events in T&F. And championship events are not separated by sex.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    We have a NJ soccer stadium with about 20k capacity for the MLS team but the NWSL team plays at Rutgers whose soccer field I think has a capacity of maybe 5K.
    Portland Thorns play in the same stadium as the MLS team (Timbers), and average over 16,000 fans per game. So why can't other teams do the same?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    Portland Thorns play in the same stadium as the MLS team (Timbers), and average over 16,000 fans per game. So why can't other teams do the same?
    Have you ever been to Portland? The 'offical' town motto is Keep Portland Weird . . . and they certainly do. I thought Eugene was hippie-dippy, but Portland makes Eugene look like Oklahoma City!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Have you ever been to Portland? The 'offical' town motto is Keep Portland Weird . . . and they certainly do. I thought Eugene was hippie-dippy, but Portland makes Eugene look like Oklahoma City!
    Yes. I have been to Portland, although it was nearly two decades ago. But if that's the secret, all you have to do is to find a few more weird cities like that.