Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 315
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    10,928
    There is an article in The Guardian today about the effects of Title IX....there are 400,000 high school girls playing interscholastic soccer....which is of course great but it's something no other country is going to do....combine it with the scholarship sport system...unique in the world....thus the US winning is not much of a surprise...

    US versus the rest of the world would probably be even money...
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    12,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Also every country in the world in the men's has a decent chance not making the World Cup.....and picking the winner is nearly impossible.....

    I was almost certain the U.S. women would win.....the whole tournament seemed anticlimactic....
    I enjoyed it immensely.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I was almost certain the U.S. women would win.....the whole tournament seemed anticlimactic....
    Do you follow women's world soccer? Our win was far from assured. The 2-1 wins over Spain, France, and England show that. This cup has been far more entertaining than recent men's WCups, unless you just dismiss wSoccer altogether.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    The USA was the favourite going in, and played well, and deserved the win. But 10 of the final 16 matches were decided either by 1 goal, or on penalty kicks. As noted, this included 3 of the USA wins, only 1 goal victories in the Round of 16, the quarter-finals, and the semi-finals. I thought it was a great tournament, with about a dozen good teams, and I really enjoyed watching it !
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,129
    The US beat a succession of pretty good teams: Spain, Sweden, France, England, The Netherlands. Aside from Thailand, Chile was the only easy game for the US. 538 had Matches with England and The Netherlands at 2:1, and against France just 55/45, and overall the US started with only an 18% chance, while France had a better draw and 20%. So much for a foregone conclusion.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Do you follow women's world soccer? Our win was far from assured. The 2-1 wins over Spain, France, and England show that. This cup has been far more entertaining than recent men's WCups, unless you just dismiss wSoccer altogether.
    You don't have to dismiss WSoccer to find the men's game more entertaining, unless you are an American, of course.
    To me at least, there is no comparison even if the Women's game certainly has improved.

    One question - Why can't they play within 5 yds from the sidelines without knocking the ball out for a throw-in. It seems endless at times.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    You don't have to dismiss WSoccer to find the men's game more entertaining, unless you are an American, of course.
    To me at least, there is no comparison even if the Women's game certainly has improved.

    One question - Why can't they play within 5 yds from the sidelines without knocking the ball out for a throw-in. It seems endless at times.
    Generally, defenders would rather put the ball out for a throw-in which gives their team a little time to mark attackers and get in position than keep it in play if there isn't an easy pass to a team-mate available. Also, unlike the men's game, the opposition team are not likely to have someone capable of a long throw that can be used as an offensive tactic.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    6,765
    Just heard there is a world wide women's soccer tournament. I'm kinda with it!
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    10,928
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    The US beat a succession of pretty good teams: Spain, Sweden, France, England, The Netherlands. Aside from Thailand, Chile was the only easy game for the US. 538 had Matches with England and The Netherlands at 2:1, and against France just 55/45, and overall the US started with only an 18% chance, while France had a better draw and 20%. So much for a foregone conclusion.
    I read 538 and found 18% rather silly.....I would have bet $10,000 at 5-1.... I don't think they understand the game very well....everything is just analytics there...

    Anyways I see they women get $250,000 each for winning which is pretty nice...but the men would get $1million....the likelihood of the U.S. men ever winning is so remote they should get $10million each.... the U.S. women will win 40 WCs before the men ever win one...so by the time the men do win they will finally catch up in pay....

    Hopefully the European teams will get better but it is more hit and miss finding top players there....unlike the US system...

    And for South America and Africa creating quality teams...well I don't see that happening soon....

    I've taught in England at secondary and university level.....it was 20 years ago I will admit....and there is a difference from then..but the scene for school sports is light years behind in the competition level...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-08-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    10,928
    Yes the games were close sometimes....the great thing about soccer is even a lousy team will occasionally beat a far better team...Cameroon could have beaten England and they seemed almost clueless....England might have beaten the U.S. with more experienced players....but they made mistakes...offsides on a goal and the wrong player taking the penalty....
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •