Facts, Not Fiction

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I watched much of the game on an airplane, faut de mieux. I've never been much of a soccer fan and this game didn't do anything to change my mind.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I watched much of the game on an airplane, faut de mieux. I've never been much of a soccer fan and this game didn't do anything to change my mind.
    You are forgiven. Unless you have lived the sport as a player and/or coach, I can imagine the lack of scoring is a problem. I was mesmerized today, because to me it was a grand chess match with life-size figures displaying other-worldly skills and running their hearts out.

3. Collapse Details

I'll stick my neck out and say something not PC: women's football even at it's highest level is slow and inaccurate compared to men's elite, so it's only natural that you find it unappetizing, especially given that you aren't a fan to start with. Being slow and not so explosive I (and most people I think) can live with, as women's athletics is just as good and exciting to me as men's. But the reason for which the football game is so inaccurate is beyond me; for comparison, the best of women's basketball and amateur boxing are actually very technically proficient.

4. Collapse Details

While I admire the athleticism and skill of soccer, truthfully, my interest extends only to Charlie Lonewolf's and the US women's team games.
    I just can't watch 90 minutes of nil-nil ball exchange if I am not emotionally involved.

If US men's national team ever gets competitive at the level of US women I will watch.

5. Collapse Details

I actually think the technical skills of the women's game have vastly improved in recent years; better fundamentals/better coaching. But yes, still a ways to go. The US yesterday were lucky to get away with so much errant passing. And more qualified goalkeeping coaches would help to. But, there are finally more than a couple qualified teams in a tournament. In all the quarterfinal games, any team could win on a given day. I don't think that's ever been true before in previous tournaments. The US were somewhat lucky to get through the last 2 rounds. The England game could also go either way.

6. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Unbelievable side-note to yesterday's game - by losing in the quarters French women eliminated from 2020 Olympics. Only top 3 Euro teams from World Cup qualify. Unlike the men UEFA does not do an Olympic qualifying tournament for the women.
    There are no strings on me

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Unbelievable side-note to yesterday's game - by losing in the quarters French women eliminated from 2020 Olympics. Only top 3 Euro teams from World Cup qualify. Unlike the men UEFA does not do an Olympic qualifying tournament for the women.
    If that is the case, Germany would be out as well. England, The Netherlands and Sweden would be the qualifiers.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    If that is the case, Germany would be out as well. England, The Netherlands and Sweden would be the qualifiers.
    ..and the USA

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    If that is the case, Germany would be out as well.
    Yep, the defending Olympic champ won't be in Tokyo.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    ..and the USA
    I'm just talking Euro qualifiers.