Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    There was clearly no defensive player except the goalie between Norway player and goal. I do not know/remembr where she was when she got the ball.
    On the first Australia goal, there was a "scrum" in front of the goal. The ball threaded it way through/past multiple players from both teams
    On the second disallowed Australian goal, there were two defensive players plus goalie ahead of kicker.
    Next question: On a substition, there was graphic that the retiring play has mad e28 passes with 90% accuracy and run 9.06 Km.. how is even possible to keep such statistics for every player?
    As the pass was made, the Norwegian was clearly onside and then outran the defender. It was a perfectly executed play.
    I did not see the Aussie play you mention, cannot comment.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

2. Collapse Details

there was graphic that the retiring play has made 28 passes with 90% accuracy and run 9.06 Km.. how is even possible to keep such statistics for every player?
    I believe there are micro-chip trackers on the players. FIFA has learned from other big sports that viewers eat those kind of stats up, so they track all sorts of stuff they never used to.

3. Collapse Details

Next question: On a substition, there was graphic that the retiring player has made 28 passes with 90% accuracy and run 9.06 Km.. how is even possible to keep such statistics for every player?
    I have seen these stats on Premier League matches (12-13 km is not unusual) and had assumed they were gps based. There are such systems, but at the highest levels it seems these guys use a three camera system:

https://www.stats.com/sportvu-football/

4. Collapse Details

Next question: On a substition, there was graphic that the retiring play has mad e28 passes with 90% accuracy and run 9.06 Km.. how is even possible to keep such statistics for every player?
    When I was in college I knew a guy (a fellow student who lived on campus) who was paid to be one of a team of stat counters at home basketball games. He and the other stat counters were lined up on a long table with papers in front of them, and they'd mark down every point, rebound, assist, turnover, etc. (depending on who was assigned to count what).

That was over 20 years ago; I don't know how much of that counting has since been taken over by computers.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    There is WIIIIIIDE latitude in deciding whether a player is instrumental to the play. In USA's last win, Carly Lloyd was clearly in an off-sides position, right in front of the box, but because a Swedish player kept Lloyd from getting the ball, the ensuing goal from Lloyd's teammate counted. We got the goal, but I would be livid if Sweden has scored a goal like that.
    Every pundit on BBC TV and radio who I've heard express a view on this goal didn't think it should be allowed and I agree. The reason being that if Lloyd hadn't been there, the Swedish player would most likely just have left the ball which would probably have just gone out of play for a Swedish goal-kick.

It may have been a correct decision under current guidelines but I tend to agree with schigh that things have gone a little too far.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Meanwhile....Cameroon is not happy with VAR today....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/47323153/page/4

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Meanwhile....Cameroon is not happy with VAR today....
    She was NOT off-side because she wasn't part of the play. Carly Lloyd was much more off-side! No male ref would have ever called that on men!! This sure does smell of bias.
    Last edited by Atticus; 06-23-2019 at 05:36 PM.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    She was NOT off-side because she wasn't part of the play. Carly Lloyd was much more off-side! No male ref would have ever called that on men!! This sure does smell of bias.
    Right....perhaps harsh...but I've seen lots of offside calls like that in Europe...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-23-2019 at 05:59 PM.

9. Collapse Details

I don't think they called the dead offside. The ball recipient was in line with a defender, That is what they called. It was questionable offside at best, IMHO.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

10. Collapse Details

The offside was not called on the player not involved in the play, it was called on the player that received the pass (the back of one foot was offside). Still a very harsh call, but I agree with Conor Dary, you do see these called. Having said that, I do agree with Phil Neville's comments after the game.

On the Norway game, I have to give a shout out to the goalie for stopping a PK while staying on the line. So, I was wrong, it can be done. Now rooting for Hjelmseth to win the golden glove for the tournament.