Facts, Not Fiction

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Have you ever been to Portland? The 'offical' town motto is Keep Portland Weird . . . and they certainly do. I thought Eugene was hippie-dippy, but Portland makes Eugene look like Oklahoma City!
    Isn't that a good thing? I have a business associate, long time resident of Portland, who bemoans the decline of Portland.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Isn't that a good thing? I have a business associate, long time resident of Portland, who bemoans the decline of Portland.
    It's a wonderful thing, but you can't expect other cities to be as 'weird' (actually support wSports!). The decline of Portland began when the city planners couldn't keep the infrastructure up with the growth. Portland (and Seattle) traffic was horrific.

3. Collapse Details

New Nike ad featuring USWNT, strident but necessarily so.

https://youtu.be/dPzh0gq-SJc

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    It's a wonderful thing, but you can't expect other cities to be as 'weird' (actually support wSports!). The decline of Portland began when the city planners couldn't keep the infrastructure up with the growth. Portland (and Seattle) traffic was horrific.
    I suspect the "decline of Portland" complaint (having been there for the indoor WC of '16) has nothing to do with traffic, and like Seattle has everything to do with an ultra-liberal base with money making it economically/politically feasible for large populations of homeless/mentally ill cluttering the streets (viz, San Francisco)

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    There are some major differences, though. I believe there's no major difference in interest between men's and women's events in T&F. ....
    you've obviously not spent much time on these shores.

6. Collapse Details

A couple of things about numbers:
    Lets Run had an item reporting that a group of 15yo boys from the metro Dallas area beat the now World Champs pretty easily in a scrimmage. If true it proves that a slight advantage in lateral quickness (and speed) can overwhelm a more skilled side that probably have a much better feel for a technical game and have more experience overall.

I didn't look up a single individual background of the squad. If they are largely white and suburban I have the feeling that won't play well. I haven't heard any complaints yet but
    it wouldn't surprise if that follows in their success.

7. Collapse Details

I checked and Portland, Chicago, Orlando, and Utah play in stadiums with 20k or more capacity. The other five NWSL teams have capacities of 10k or less. NJ is exactly 5k.

I should add that I do not feel especially bad about all the above because I do not particularly like soccer as a sport and especially dislike how youth soccer organizers in the USA try to monopolize young kids 24/7/365 when kids should be trying a variety of sports at a young age. If MLS and NWSL are inept, it is fine by me.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 07-09-2019 at 03:52 AM.

8. Collapse Details

It seems to me that I am the type of sports fan that the women's soccer team wants to enlist. I dabble in a lot of sports, but cherry pick them. Golf, but mostly just Sundays, and certainly with Tiger. NHRA finals, baseball/softball/basketball/football playoffs (college and pro). Pretty much what TV ratings say the average viewer watches. (T&F is the exception: every minute of every feed on NBC Gold.)

So my take on soccer:
    I have watched Premiere League soccer most weekends the last few years. The passing accuracy is remarkable as sides like Man City work the ball down the field, from one sideline to the other. Great goals involve late passes to outflank defenses. When I was watching the women's games, I was counting out loud: one, two, turnover, one, two, turnover, one, turnover, even when the objective was to run clock. When the ball was played into an open area, the attacks were solo, apparently because there was no faith in the ability to complete a pass to the weak side.

If that is my impression from watching high level matches, why would I watch any women's soccer for the next four years?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    So my take on soccer:
    I have watched Premiere League soccer most weekends the last few years. The passing accuracy is remarkable as sides like Man City work the ball down the field, from one sideline to the other. Great goals involve late passes to outflank defenses. When I was watching the women's games, I was counting out loud: one, two, turnover, one, two, turnover, one, turnover, even when the objective was to run clock. When the ball was played into an open area, the attacks were solo, apparently because there was no faith in the ability to complete a pass to the weak side.
    You're misperceiving the 'goal' of attacking soccer, the kind the USWNT plays. It's direct - high-risk-high-reward. The idea is not to win the possession game; the goal is to create mis-matches in the defense. There's plenty of faith in the crossing game. Look at Rapinoe's assists numbers; they're mostly from crosses. As for attacking on the dribble - that's where we have a distinct advantage over other countries, so we use it.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    It seems to me that I am the type of sports fan that the women's soccer team wants to enlist. I dabble in a lot of sports, but cherry pick them. Golf, but mostly just Sundays, and certainly with Tiger. NHRA finals, baseball/softball/basketball/football playoffs (college and pro). Pretty much what TV ratings say the average viewer watches. (T&F is the exception: every minute of every feed on NBC Gold.)

So my take on soccer:

If that is my impression from watching high level matches, why would I watch any women's soccer for the next four years?
    You're saying something that I think is unpopular is some circles, but falls under the category of "it is what it is."

I get the same sense/feeling watching WNBA - the difference between the men and women's game is jarring. For some folks who like fundamentals, passing, below the rim action (Hoosiers) this plays nicely, but most people watch athletics for amazing feats.

I think the effect is way more pronounced in team sports. I've thought about this a lot. I'm as glued to women's TnF as men's and I also love female powerlifting and weightlifting because I think it's so much about the personal quest...the chipping away at times or the small increases in weight.

But with teams sports - especially identical sports like soccer and basketball - it's too much of a difference in overall speed, athleticism, movement, power...and it leaves me feeling "meh".

If the sport is different enough, however, I'm back in. Girl's/Women's Softball is different enough from baseball that it appeals to me. I'm not jarred by what I'm seeing because my brain isn't trying to fill in the gaps that the women's game is missing.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!