Facts, Not Fiction

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

If they want more scoring in the game that have to tweak the current application of this rule.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I agree...it's getting silly...

3. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Back in the day (10 years ago?), the operant phrase was 'even is on', meaning that if the striker's body overlapped the defender's, you were on-side. I have no idea why it changed, but now all you need is part of your body ahead of the defender and you're off-side. Boo!
    Even is still on. It is just that even is now a very fine margin. The rule is part of the body you can score with (foot, head, thigh) is past the last defender. VAR has made it so that minute, non-material positions are now called. VAR is still a work in progress.
    Last edited by bhall; 07-03-2019 at 09:16 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Back in the day (10 years ago?), the operant phrase was 'even is on', meaning that if the striker's body overlapped the defender's, you were on-side. I have no idea why it changed, but now all you need is part of your body ahead of the defender and you're off-side. Boo!
    Boo! is right and why would they experiment with all they VAR stuff during the World Cup?
    Weird stuff during US-England. The penalty should not have been given but what a lame attempt!
    Today I watched almost the whole Sweden-Holland game. Mainly a boring game and not of any high quality. But there was an enormous amount of throw-ins. I have seen this in several of the games. At some point it also seemed every tackle drew a whistle which certainly ruined the flow of the game.
    The US should win the final but they can be shaky on defence.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    The Dutch are nothing if not methodical, which makes them predictable. Like Germany, they try and wear opponents down. The USA clearly has better talent, but if we make mistakes, Neth will punish us. On the other hand, our pressure can make them make mistakes. It'll be a good game technically.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    Boo! is right and why would they experiment with all they VAR stuff during the World Cup?
    Weird stuff during US-England. The penalty should not have been given but what a lame attempt!
    Today I watched almost the whole Sweden-Holland game. Mainly a boring game and not of any high quality. But there was an enormous amount of throw-ins. I have seen this in several of the games. At some point it also seemed every tackle drew a whistle which certainly ruined the flow of the game.
    Probably they are experimenting during the Women's World Cup, including goalkeepers staying on the line, because the stakes are vastly lower than the men's game....

The U.S. has such a vast pool to choose from of experienced players compared to other countries making the Final is not surprising at all....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-04-2019 at 01:29 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    The U.S. has such a vast pool to choose from of experienced players compared to other countries
    Exactly. They could replace half or more of the starting line-up without hardly any decline in quality.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    Exactly. They could replace half or more of the starting line-up without hardly any decline in quality.
    The phrase from the USA women is that we're the best team here . . . and the second best (the bench). Any team that can sit Carly Lloyd (my favorite player - still) has too much talent.

9. Collapse Details

Well, you can't say our women's team is controversy-shy! We've had the 13-0 blow-out, Rapinoe's remarks, Hotel-gate, and now Alex Morgan's tea-sipping. I'm sure many people are tut-tutting and gasping in genteel shock, but I love it.
    Here's one Brit's must-read take on the tea-sipping, and the game in general:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...walk-talk.html

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Here's one Brit's must-read take on the tea-sipping, and the game in general:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...walk-talk.html
    We'll give the teeth sucking medal to Piers for today.