Facts, Not Fiction

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by schigh View Post
    I'm glad the penalty kick was stopped, but England was offside, should never have looked to determine if it was a penalty in the first place.
    Disagree, I thought VAR was actually used effectively today. In the end, the better team won. But why was White not taking that PK?
    Last edited by HopStepJump; 07-02-2019 at 09:39 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by HopStepJump View Post
    Disagree, I thought VAR was actually used effectively today. In the end, the better team won. But why was White not taking that PK?
    Look at the play leading up to the foul in question, England was offside.

3. Collapse Details

I am often confused by offsides calls but even I spotted this one live and wondered why it was reviewed.

4. Collapse Details

I think White may just be in an offside position when the ball is played out to the left wing but I don't think that matters under current rules.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    I think White may just be in an offside position when the ball is played out to the left wing but I don't think that matters under current rules.
    I initially thought White was also offside when it was played back to her, but you're right, she wasn't. Just watched it again. I withdraw my complaint.

6. Collapse Details

Well, you can't say our women's team is controversy-shy! We've had the 13-0 blow-out, Rapinoe's remarks, Hotel-gate, and now Alex Morgan's tea-sipping. I'm sure many people are tut-tutting and gasping in genteel shock, but I love it.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Well, you can't say our women's team is controversy-shy! We've had the 13-0 blow-out, Rapinoe's remarks, Hotel-gate, and now Alex Morgan's tea-sipping. I'm sure many people are tut-tutting and gasping in genteel shock, but I love it.
    While I can see some questions about a celebration with a 10-0 lead, "Tea-gate" is ridiculous.

8. Collapse Details

Somehow, I missed the tea sipping live but I love it as genteel trash..

9. Collapse Details

For a goal to count the ball must go completely over the line. For a ball to be out of bounds it must go completely over the line. Yet, for an offside to be called, the offending player doesn't have to be completely beyond the defender when the ball is played forward. The offending player can have an "advantage" amounting to inches, a minuscule body part. We saw that in the USA - England semi-final. In my opinion this inconsistency is bullshit and detracts from the game.

10. Collapse Details

Back in the day (10 years ago?), the operant phrase was 'even is on', meaning that if the striker's body overlapped the defender's, you were on-side. I have no idea why it changed, but now all you need is part of your body ahead of the defender and you're off-side. Boo!