Facts, Not Fiction

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Makes sense....otherwise with encroachment fouls it may go on forever...

Side judge will still be looking at the keeper so any egregious action forward will certainly get noticed....

2. Collapse Details

So the USA 'only' beat Sweden 2-0, but it sure was a one-sided game. France (prob QF game) will be the real test. Then . . . Germany!

3. Collapse Details

Sports Illustrated ranks the remaining 16 team:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fif...-16/ar-AADdR3w

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Sports Illustrated ranks the remaining 16 team
    1. USA
    2. France
    3. England
    4. Germany

Oh really!

France's main strength is being the home team. They and England are on a par. Germany is the team to beat. To cite the canard, 'defense wins championships' and Germany's is awesome. They are methodically boring on the attack, but certainly can wear you down with their relentlessness. The USA finally showed that in the Sweden game where we played more directly and took the attack to them.

A Germany-USA final is possible (opposite halves of the bracket). The problem is that if we beat France in the QF, we may have to play England in the SF. Germany has clear sailing (The Dutch may disagree), which will be an advantage.

While the USA is putatively the best team, the best team doesn't always win a single game - breaks are a big deal at this level.
    Last edited by Atticus; 06-21-2019 at 09:22 PM.

5. Collapse Details

I think if you are USA, you go into the tournament knowing there is a good possibility that you'll have to beat France and Germany to win the title; it doesn't really matter when you play which one. Sweden or Canada may be able to beat Germany; Germany is not as powerful as they used to be. And I think the USA is happy not to play Canada this round; it would be a very physical game and Canada is hungry to beat the USA.

England has a legitimate shot to take the whole thing. It comes down to who can improve as they go through these rounds versus running out of steam mentally and physically.

6. Collapse Details

I will never understand offside... how come Norway's goal counted and Australia' 28 second goal did not?

7. Collapse Details

Not sure if this helps, but the position of the ball is not the important part, its when the ball is played to you. So, in the instant the ball is kicked/passed ahead to you, you have to be onside, but then you can run by the last defender even though the ball hasn't reached you yet. On the other hand, if you are offside when the ball is kicked/passed to you, but onside once the ball reaches you, you're still offside.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I will never understand offside... how come Norway's goal counted and Australia' 28 second goal did not?
    There is WIIIIIIDE latitude in deciding whether a player is instrumental to the play. In USA's last win, Carly Lloyd was clearly in an off-sides position, right in front of the box, but because a Swedish player kept Lloyd from getting the ball, the ensuing goal from Lloyd's teammate counted. We got the goal, but I would be livid if Sweden has scored a goal like that.

9. Collapse Details

In the 'olden days', they used to not give that wide latitude. I think it's gone too far the other way. In my mind, Lloyd was 'involved' in the play.

10. Collapse Details

There was clearly no defensive player except the goalie between Norway player and goal. I do not know/remembr where she was when she got the ball.
    On the first Australia goal, there was a "scrum" in front of the goal. The ball threaded it way through/past multiple players from both teams
    On the second disallowed Australian goal, there were two defensive players plus goalie ahead of kicker.
    Next question: On a substition, there was graphic that the retiring play has mad e28 passes with 90% accuracy and run 9.06 Km.. how is even possible to keep such statistics for every player?