Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I think they were trying to get a goal for Carli Lloyd...and did

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    "When the USA plays their subs, they are better than most of the other teams' starters. "

Of course they do, more like 95% of the teams....no other country in the world has the interscholastic sports in high school and university like the U.S. does.....

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    When we had a big lead, I would put in the subs and tell them to play as hard as they could.
    That is about all you can do.. of course, the subs are going to play harder while they are in there so may make things worse..

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I think they were trying to get a goal for Carli Lloyd...and did
    She, at 36, is still the best player on the team, followed closely by Rapinoe, and then Alex Morgan, who's going to get the Golden Boot.
    I hope Rapinoe gets Golden Ball (player).
    Lloyd will be played sparingly, until push comes to shove and then she'll stay in.
    But . . . France, at home, will be really hard to beat . . . and then there's Germany, the same bulldozer as their men.

5. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    She, at 36, is still the best player on the team, followed closely by Rapinoe, and then Alex Morgan, who's going to get the Golden Boot.
    I hope Rapinoe gets Golden Ball (player).
    Lloyd will be played sparingly, until push comes to shove and then she'll stay in.
    But . . . France, at home, will be really hard to beat . . . and then there's Germany, the same bulldozer as their men.
    France looked good in their first match and plays a very attractive style. The U.S. has many great players but some gaps in the roster as well.

I'm fine with the 13 goals. I'm not sure you needed to celebrate after the 6th.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Women's soccer in third world countries is almost non existent.... even in Europe it is barely a thing....though it is slowly changing there...
    Here in the UK, it has grown massively in number of participants in the last 10 or 15 years, to the extent that I believe there are more registered players than there are in more traditional 'girls' sports' such as (field) hockey and netball. General interest in the top level of the game would appear to be building. However, it is hard to tell so sometimes online against a background of tiresome sexist attitudes that persist and seem to be far more prevalent than in discussions on any other women's sport.

7. Collapse Details

I agree it has grown a lot....with various teams like Arsenal, City and West Ham sponsoring teams....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48129171
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-12-2019 at 07:05 PM.

8. Collapse Details

However the pay isn't much....

Looking at the top flight of both the women's league and the men's in English football, the top earners in the WSL earn far less than even the very lowest in the Premier League.

Some Premier League players earning more in one day than most WSL players earn in a year.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/how-...h1a9bqr04pcuu5

9. Collapse Details

A bit of a tangent, but why won't 'The Wave' in the stands go away. Why is this still a thing?

10. Collapse Details

You may think it's silly, but it's been my observation at track meets that a lot of fans like to do it. And if it adds to fans' enjoyment of the experience of being at a track meet, I'd say it's a good thing.