Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 2019 Bowerman

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Perhaps not, but in the past, I think indoors has sometimes made a difference. Again, in this case, I think Oduduru has an edge anyway.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Perhaps not, but in the past, I think indoors has sometimes made a difference. Again, in this case, I think Oduduru has an edge anyway.
    I'm not sure if it makes a difference in the voting, but Oduduru's double-victory also helped his team win the team championship.

3. Collapse Details

He also ran a leg on TT's 4x100 relay, which finished third.

4. Collapse Details

Interesting stats.

Holloway (event) IAAF Score World Ranking
    60mH Indoors 1256 1st
    60m Indoors 1210 2nd
    LJ Indoors 1142 13th
    LJ outdoors 1138 36th
    110mH 1258 1st

Oduduru (event) IAAF World Ranking
    60m Indoors 1198 3nd
    100m Outdoors 1255 1st
    200m Indoors 1277 1st
    200m Outdoors 1263 3rd

The numbers would favor Oduduru but the versatility of Holloway may come into play.

5. Collapse Details

good as Mondo was, wouldn't it make sense to consider Nilsen for the award, given his impressive outdoor season, and his victory over one of the all-time collegiate greats? As discussed above, I guess it depends on how how you weight indoor, though considering indoor doesn't seem fair since not all events are even contested indoors.
    Last edited by Merner521; 06-10-2019 at 06:54 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I'm not sure if it makes a difference in the voting, but Oduduru's double-victory also helped his team win the team championship.
    that also weighs heavily for Bowerman voters

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Merner521 View Post
    considering indoor doesn't seem fair since not all events are even contested indoors.
    The rules are quite clear on this--indoor performances count, but the fact that you haven't competed indoors (as a javelin thrower would not have) doesn't disqualify you.

Athletes’ performances during the NCAA indoor track & field and outdoor track & field seasons shall be considered. An athlete need not have competed in both seasons to be eligible for the award.

8. Collapse Details

Holloway won the 60mH/60m double indoors, breaking the NCAA record in one of those events, and also got a 3rd place in the 4x4 as well. Outdoors, he broke a 40 year old NCAA record, was part of the NCAA 4x100m record breaking team, and part of the 2nd place #3 all time NCAA 4x4.
    I don't see how Oduduru's allocates NCAA titles compare with that.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    College athletes in consideration for a college-level award should be compared against college records and other college athletes, not against junior records. They're in the NCAA to compete against college athletes and college records, and shouldn't be given bonus points for bettering lower-level standards like junior records.

Richardson's 10.75 is awesome for having broken a decades-old NCAA record, but her 22.17 should be evaluated based on how it stands up to other 200m NCAA sprinters this year and in history, not treated as special for breaking a world junior record.
    Key word you consistently used is "should", but in reality as noted earlier, I'm sure voters will think of it.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cajun5150 View Post
    Interesting stats.

Holloway (event) IAAF Score World Ranking
    60mH Indoors 1256 1st
    60m Indoors 1210 2nd
    LJ Indoors 1142 13th
    LJ outdoors 1138 36th
    110mH 1258 1st

Oduduru (event) IAAF World Ranking
    60m Indoors 1198 3nd
    100m Outdoors 1255 1st
    200m Indoors 1277 1st
    200m Outdoors 1263 3rd

The numbers would favor Oduduru but the versatility of Holloway may come into play.
    Didn't Grant beat Divine in the NCAA 60 indoors. If one is going to compare them I would imagine head to head competition would be a factor and since Oduduru got beat by Grant I don't think there is anyway to justify him being the winner. Also although Divine had a spectacular NCAA meet he did not break any records this season indoors or outdoors and past Bowerman winners tend to go to the ones who won the NCAA championships and the next tier would be the one's who won and broken records. Divine only has the championships but Grant has both. And trust and believe Grant will win the fan vote as the race between him and Roberts was the Marquee billing for the Men's Final Day.
    Last edited by BleacherReporter; 06-11-2019 at 12:14 PM.