Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Men's 800m was funny. Pacemaker kept going and going ... and finished second!

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Why not second...1:46 wins...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jshapco2 View Post
    He is getting on some new massive poles. A transition period. Think he needs to get used to these new sticks. He is still getting bigger and faster a problem he has always had. When he finds the sweet spot he PRs like a mad man.
    He has gone thru a suite of poles in 6-8 months that would take high quality vaulters years to proceed thru without killing themselves.

I agree completely he will be a forced to be reckoned with. Not that he isn’t already.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cajun5150 View Post
    He has gone thru a suite of poles in 6-8 months that would take high quality vaulters years to proceed thru without killing themselves.
    I agree completely he will be a forced to be reckoned with. Not that he isn’t already.
    When he catches his breath, gets into a European comfort-zone, and irons out a few small things, I really think he's going to go on a Bubkaesque WR spree. Some maybe already this year, more next.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    That was Hartwig coaching Sam and Cole, yes?
    Yes. Cole is coached by Nick Hysong and Sam is coached by his dad, but it is rare for vaulters to have their coaches with them at every meet.

I don't think Jeff coaches anyone regularly, but he is an agent and he often coaches all sorts of vaulters at international meets.

6. Collapse Details

Coleman looked really good (9.85). I can see him run something like 9.73 this season.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Lewandowski's win would have been impressive enough in itself, but when you consider he raced in Bydgoszcz yesterday, it's pretty incredible.
    Incredible is right! Is he still going with both the 800 like yesterday and the 1500?
    He runs smart, The Ingebrigtsens were complaining about using wrong tactics. Jacob felt he was stuck in lane 2 too long. Dad, their coach said it was a goofball race by them.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    My prediction is he's going to break 47 this year.
    My prediction is he won't.
    My prediction is he may or may not - I think I'll be winning this one!

As everybody knows, breaking 47 is a rare thing, so predicting that is a bold move but Warholm seems capable at some stage. Even breaking 48 on a regular basis is hard except for the very best.

The IAAF all-time lists (including prelims) show that 49 men have run under 48 seconds a total of 348 times. However, very few managed to do it on a regular basis:
    17 once
    6 twice
    3 three x
    3 four x
    3 five x
    1 six x
    2 seven x
    2 eight x
    1 ten x
    11 more than ten.

Those with more than 10 (20% of athletes) accounted for 229 runs or 68% of the total, the other 38 (80%) totalled 111 or 32%.

The top 5 athletes had total runs of 140 or 40% of the total and achieved all their performances at this standard before 2000. Here is the table of the most prolific 20 athletes:

Rank Athlete Count
    1 Edwin MOSES 45
    2 Samuel MATETE 27
    3 Danny HARRIS 24
    4 Kevin YOUNG 23
    5 Derrick ADKINS 21
    6 Félix SÁNCHEZ 20
    6 Bershawn JACKSON 20
    8 Bryan BRONSON 13
    8 Angelo TAYLOR 13
    10 André PHILLIPS 12
    11 Abderrahman SAMBA 11
    12 Kerron CLEMENT 10
    13 Harald SCHMID 8
    13 Stéphane DIAGANA 8
    15 Karsten WARHOLM 7
    15 Llewellyn HERBERT 7
    17 James CARTER 6
    18 Wintrop GRAHAM 5
    18 LJ VAN ZYL 5
    18 Javier CULSON 5

edit: Yes, IAAF has "Wintrop" GRAHAM rather than Winthrop like everywhere else.
    Last edited by El Toro; 06-14-2019 at 07:02 AM.

9. Collapse Details

At this point I think he is the (slight) favorite as his time here, 7 seconds faster than the loaded women's 400h is the strongest mark and Samba is questionable, especially at the level of a sub-47, and 47.33 is not that far away. I think to relegate him to fighting for third is not in accordance with the current evidence.

10. Collapse Details

I thought neither Muhhamed nor Syd ran the best paced races they could have; Muhhamed went off far too quickly, had she held back just a bit she probably would have hung on. On the other hand, Syd went off a too tentatively and could have won by a bigger margin had she gone out a wee bit faster.

It goes to show how the pacing is (obviously!) so critical in this event. Syd has the potential to run super fast here as everyone has said, but if one of her main rivals gets their pace and technique spot-on, she cant make any big mistakes.