Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 105
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #91
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,701
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    .... it appeared to me as she leaned over in the blocks that her hair touched the track beyond her hands. Isn't that technically a false start, or should not have allowed the race to start? ...
    Not remotely a unique occurrence. Fortunately, commonsense tends to prevail in this case.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #92
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Just watching the Oslo DL meet on NBC SN and watched the women's 200. Gabi Thomas was in the starting blocks. She has long dark hair, and it appeared to me as she leaned over in the blocks that her hair touched the track beyond her hands. Isn't that technically a false start, or should not have allowed the race to start? I might not have seen it that well, and maybe it wasn't touching but sure looked close.
    I couldn't tell if this was sarcasm or not?
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,771
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Just watching the Oslo DL meet on NBC SN and watched the women's 200. Gabi Thomas was in the starting blocks. She has long dark hair, and it appeared to me as she leaned over in the blocks that her hair touched the track beyond her hands. Isn't that technically a false start, or should not have allowed the race to start?
    Unless there are athletes with hydraulic hair, I certainly hope not.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #94
    Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Just watching the Oslo DL meet on NBC SN and watched the women's 200. Gabi Thomas was in the starting blocks. She has long dark hair, and it appeared to me as she leaned over in the blocks that her hair touched the track beyond her hands. Isn't that technically a false start, or should not have allowed the race to start? I might not have seen it that well, and maybe it wasn't touching but sure looked close.

    "Generally, no false start should be charged if the athlete has not lost
    contact with the ground or foot plates." (Rule 162.7)

    Did her hair remain on the track until the gun went off? Breezes can be pesky.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,896
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    "Generally, no false start should be charged if the athlete has not lost contact with the ground or foot plates." (Rule 162.7)
    ??!!
    Then why do they call FSs by the beep in their headset, when the athlete is still in the blocks (albeit 'moving')?
    Unless the Starter SEES the movement, there may be a recall, but no FS charged, doncha think?
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    ??!!
    Then why do they call FSs by the beep in their headset, when the athlete is still in the blocks (albeit 'moving')?
    Unless the Starter SEES the movement, there may be a recall, but no FS charged, doncha think?
    You can obtain the IAAF rules here:

    https://www.iaaf.org/about-iaaf/docu...es-regulations

    The start is discussed starting on page 87, Rule 162.

    162.6 :

    False Start
    6. When an IAAF certified Start Information System is in use, the
    Starter and/or an assigned Recaller shall wear headphones in order to
    clearly hear the acoustic signal emitted when the System indicates a
    possible false start (i.e. when the reaction time is less than 0.100
    second). As soon as the Starter and/or assigned Recaller hears the
    acoustic signal, and if the gun was fired, there shall be a recall and
    the Starter shall immediately examine the reaction times and other
    available information from the Start Information System in order to
    confirm which, if any, athlete(s) is/are responsible for the recall.
    Note: When an IAAF certified Start Information System is in
    operation, the evidence of this equipment shall be used as a resource
    by the relevant officials to assist in making a correct decision.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    16,046
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Did her hair remain on the track until the gun went off? Breezes can be pesky.
    She'd need to have A LOT of hair for it to exert enough pressure on the track to be registered by the FS system.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    She'd need to have A LOT of hair for it to exert enough pressure on the track to be registered by the FS system.
    "Generally, no false start should be charged if the athlete has not lost
    contact with the ground or foot plates." (Rule 162.7)

    If the athlete keeps the tongue inside the cheek, hair will be allowed to touch the track.
    No, seriously......
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 06-18-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    She'd need to have A LOT of hair for it to exert enough pressure on the track to be registered by the FS system.
    I believe the FS system registers pressure on the blocks, not on the track.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    I think he was making the point that no part of the runner's body should be touching beyond the starting line.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •